News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

I don't think that game is the fault of the defence. We are an offence heavy team built to score, our management constructed a poor defence and we were well aware it would be bottom 10 in the league. Last night they played one of the best teams in hockey who was hungry after only scoring 1 goal in their last 2 games, they played to the standard that is expected of them. Carolina looked like the better team and deserved the win, but not by a score of 7-2. The job of the goalie is to stop the puck, Campbell does not do that. You stated that on 50% of the goals the defence left him out to dry, a lot of goals scored in the league are at the fault of the defence, that is how it's supposed to be. The defence makes an error and the opposing team takes advantage of that, it's up to the goalie to then bail them out, which Campbell never does. But I agree that's not his fault, the blame should be shared on 50% of the goals scored, how about the rest? If your defence is solid and the puck is still going in that is a goaltending problem. What is the defence supposed to do here:

(right through his glove)
(rookie mistake by Holloway not to get it in deep here but as for the defence they were in position, floaty backhand goes in because he's wayyyy too deep in his net)

And none of those make mention of his awful rebound control that has cost us about a goal a game on average.
He has a .873 SV% now with a 4.27 GAA, I agree our defence is not good but goaltenders playing on the god damn Arizona Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and Anaheim Ducks have better stats than that. Not to mention his own teammate Stuart Skinner playing in front of the same group of guys has a .928 SV% and 2.62 GAA. You can say what you want about the Oilers, but he is costing us games more than anything else at the moment. All NHL goalies should be able to bail out their teams from time to time, starting goalies are paid to bail out their teams often. Carter Hart has a +16 goals saved above expected, a stat that shows his team has played a level of defence that should've let in 16 more goals, but because of him they didn't. Jack Campbell has a -7 (4th worst in the league), showing that his defence has played up to a standard that should've resulted in 7 less goals against on the season. Last game against Carolina Campbell scored a -3 whereas the Hurricanes goalie scored a +1.

I'm not fully defending Campbell, for he has not met expectations and continues to let shots in the he should have had and was out of position for, but having watched each game of his this year, I was asking 'where were the D' as much as 'what the hell was he doing'.

It's clear from his stats that he is underperforming by a significant margin, but is that the hole story?

I've seen this kind of thing a lot this year.

He's honest though

Oh boy

Ha

A friend who covers sports in Toronto says Jack Campbell is one of the hardest people on himself after a loss and the first to credit everyone else after a win. This has a plus and a minus:

The minus is he probably can't shake off a bad outing as easily as other goalies

On the plus side his teammates will run through brick walls for him

Considering the team plays much worse in front of him than they do in front of Skinner I'd say we are feeling quite the minus on that right now.

Considering the team plays much worse in front of him than they do in front of Skinner I'd say we are feeling quite the minus on that right now.
or they simply feel they have to work harder in front of skinner than they have to in front of campbell and that’s what’s biting them when campbell’s in net.

1/6 of the way through the game and the Oilers have yet to register a shot on net...

A common theme...

12 minutes in and the shots are 11-2 for the opposition.

I'm glad to see the McFarlane jerseys back in action!

FhvPBisaEAExSfc

L.A. showed us how to play defence and made it hard to get shots on net.

^also, no thank you.

Jesus H Oilers.

3 goals on 21 (Campbell)

1 short handed GA + the Oilers took a penalty

Nothing on their power plays

Sorokin looking strong as well.

Can I add that they were 0/5 on the PP, had 50 shots but could not score and it took them 12mins to register a shot.

McDavid looked upset/disappointed.

Back