News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

All they need to do is replace the retired Duncan Keith with a big snarly stay-at-home D-man with 2 or 3 years left on his current contract, and they'll need to trade Jesse Puljujärvi, maybe Foegele and 1 or 2 minor leaguers.

^ ^^

it's easy enough to agree insofar as the year after keith is perhaps looking too much like the year after pronger.

except the average age of their defense is 26.5 including those three and the average age of the rest of their defensive core is almost 29.

based on age alone, this group should be in their prime but again i think there's an underlying team dynamic that isn't fair to lay on any single player or group of players.

perhaps keith and pronger - and now kane (hopefully) - were/are strong enough to change that but the entire organization from veterans to youth needs to come to the rink with the same swagger players like that - players like messier - bring to the rink and instill in others. but that seems to suggest a culture change that a single playoff run every decade or so won't provide because they all need to bring that swagger if the team is going to succeed.

because it's not just hard work and talent - no-one can question mcdavid's or draisaitl's or hyman's work ethic or talent just as no-one could question gretzky's or kuri's or anderson's. but there's something messier brought that allowed that work ethic and talent to coalesce into something more that permeated the roster from top to bottom. i called it swagger but it's maybe more than that - it's not just being confident in what you can do, it's the certainty that you can do it regardless of what the other team does or how they respond. regardless of how the games went, they believed that they would stop the last puck necessary and score the last goal necessary to win regardless of how many goals they were up or down at the time.

L.A. will be a good test of the Oilers level of compete.

Prediction: 4-3 Edmonton

6-4 LA

Last edited:
20 minutes left to find something in the well.

0/5 on the PP though, boys?

Hyman is an absolute GEM!

McD is clearly frustrated given his hitting and looking disengaged while doing that, but then goes and does THAT!

Nurse caught in nomansland once again for the 5th.

Last edited:
0/6 versus 4/7 tells the special teams tale.

Kostin is my favourite newest addition.

*The Ducks

But a decent team effort from what I heard/saw reported.

Kostin is precisely the type of energy player that Edmonton needs right now.

*The Sharks

Nice to see everyone chipping in again.

Kostin could very well end up with 15 goals, maybe 20, top 10 in team points; ahead of 13, 71, 56

Felt bad for Campbell and his missed 0

* The Golden Knights on the third game in four nights and a back to back

Great start. Could have been 4-0 in the first 10 minutes. And even after giving late goals in first and second periods, the Oilers didn't let that momentum continue into the next frame. Played hard all night and I think gave everything they had.

Another game winning goal for Kostin - impressive.

Wonder where Kane will be slotted in?

^that should be interesting, but I hope up on #1 and move things so our 3rd line has increased depth.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 9.51.09 AM.png

Credit where credit is due.

A competitive and rather complete game by the whole team last night and only one of a handful of games that I can say that for this season.

Not sure who said what in the room, perhaps Kaner's return pumped the kids up, but there was something in the water last night.

Campbell played very well, maybe his best game of the year IMO.

Kane made his presence known, but was rusty and should have had 2Gs and 1 or 2 apples.

Drai missed what, 1 if not 2 open nets and looked like his timing was off.

McD was McD.

Maybe the best thing though was how patient we were exiting our zone and/or able to get the puck up and out off the glass.

Between this W and the one we took away from Vegas, a MASSIVE week for the Oil.

See that’s the difference between the Oil organization and the Flamers. We have class, we have deep rooted relationships with charity, sick kids and the giving back to the community. The fLamers have NO history whatsoever with any of that. We have the Joey Mosses, the Stelters, one of the largest 50/50 programs in NA, the Oilers charitable foundation. That’s why there are 10-1 Oil fans to fLamers fans in this country.

See that’s the difference between the Oil organization and the Flamers. We have class, we have deep rooted relationships with charity, sick kids and the giving back to the community. The fLamers have NO history whatsoever with any of that. We have the Joey Mosses, the Stelters, one of the largest 50/50 programs in NA, the Oilers charitable foundation. That’s why there are 10-1 Oil fans to fLamers fans in this country.
Everything except much of Oilers management that has been a dumpster fire more often than not (i.e. Nicholson, Chiarelli (past), Holland, Schwartz, etc.).

Back