Milner Building Residential Conversion | 53m | 12s | Westcorp | Kasian

Any word on Westcorp's Milner redo? Given the rental market outlook it would seem to make a lot of sense right now.

Yes, I recall that and at the time it didn't make sense, but I'd guess that the market is moving in a very positive direction and there may be some additional capacity out there in the next few months...

I wonder given that the old IPL/Enbridge building is now being converted to apartments instead of a hotel as originally propsed, maybe this is a building that could be a hotel.

Given people seem to be getting back to traveling again, surely the COVID moratorium on new hotel development must be coming to an end soon or has ended.

It would be a great spot for one, but that asset class does poorly in Edmonton (for the most part).

An updated Milner page...

Investment Opportunity

A natural extension of downtown Edmonton’s vibrant 104 Street district, the Milner is poised to enter a new chapter in its already historic existence as one of the finest examples of mid-century modern architecture in Alberta. Westcorp is thrilled to be part of its story we begin to reposition the Milner into a luxury mixed-use development for the Capital City’s movers and shakers.

Love this building and I'm really excited it gets a new lease on life. Between this conversion and Falcon's tower(s) maybe activity on 104th st can be extended and not focused on just the other side of Jasper Ave.

I did a lot of work in the Milner Building back in the day when International Utilities was the main office tenant. The building has tremendous possibilities for creating true up-scale residential -- of particular note: high ceilings. And the main floor setback from 104th Street enables some exceptional "active space" for outdoor patio space. This could lead to exceptional possibilities for 104 activation, especially with the new tower across the street.

The last I recall on this one though was that the remediation and conversion costs were coming in FAR higher than originally expected.

Back