Mill Woods Town Centre Redevelopment | ?m | ?s

Went by this today, the new street in front of Co-op is almost done, and the new bus lane is coming along nicely. the shelter still has a ways to go though.
IMG_9239.JPGIMG_9239.JPGIMG_9240.JPGIMG_9241.JPG

Switched over a few years ago……from a Safeway. One in Leduc as well……YYC has a crap load of them

There is plenty of land around the mall, it would be nice if some of that space could be developed to low to mid rise housing. First spot I'd love to see developed is the land where Zeller/Target used to be.

A midrise with podium access to the mall and lowrise/row opposite in the SW corner of the parking lot (which is always empty) would be a great start.

The mall really seems to have become a community gathering space, so I hope that it can be retained and benefit the tenants as well with integrated residential.

So, Maclab purchased the mall site for $69 million, not a small chunk of change. Their website says 'Following our Garneau Project and The Parks development, this will be our third major active Edmonton transit-oriented infill project in Edmonton' so we should expect some movement on the mall at the earliest once the Garneau project is completed, as the Parks buildout will take some time still.

This project has enormous potential given its position in the heart of Mill Woods, not to mention transit access. I just hope that we don't see a repeat of Century Park, where the redevelopment of another failed mall STILL is incomplete two decades after the mall was demolished. Century Park also never lived up to the original vision, which was high-rise towers peppering the site. Instead we got a handful of relatively low-rise residential buildings and a whole lot of strip mall.

CP was overly ambitious by an out of town developer who didn't know the market.

Build MTC out with 4-6 storey low-rise with a ton of density, some non-market and improved community amenities and call it a day.

This project has enormous potential given its position in the heart of Mill Woods, not to mention transit access. I just hope that we don't see a repeat of Century Park, where the redevelopment of another failed mall STILL is incomplete two decades after the mall was demolished. Century Park also never lived up to the original vision, which was high-rise towers peppering the site. Instead we got a handful of relatively low-rise residential buildings and a whole lot of strip mall.
The only 'strip mall' that was added was the development in the SW corner where the TD Bank, SBUX, etc. are. And in general it's not all that bad. The Safeway and other commercial buildings to the east are not owned by Procura or the previous consortium (Westbank, Procura, Progressive Construction).

Back