Mill Woods Town Centre Redevelopment | ?m | ?s

The only 'strip mall' that was added was the development in the SW corner where the TD Bank, SBUX, etc. are. And in general it's not all that bad. The Safeway and other commercial buildings to the east are not owned by Procura or the previous consortium (Westbank, Procura, Progressive Construction).
The site still falls far short of what was originally promised.

CP was overly ambitious by an out of town developer who didn't know the market.

Build MTC out with 4-6 storey low-rise with a ton of density, some non-market and improved community amenities and call it a day.
I think Century Park is better located with a direct connection to the University by LRT as well as downtown. It also helps that LRT line doesn't seem to have the lenghty delays the Valley line has. If anyone was waiting for the line to be up and running before starting development, well they are still waiting and waiting.

The lengthy delays don't just affect transit users, but mess up development plans for a good chunk of the city that badly needs it. I suspect a lot of people have lost trust in the city and its timelines.

I think Century Park is better located with a direct connection to the University by LRT as well as downtown. It also helps that LRT line doesn't seem to have the lenghty delays the Valley line has. If anyone was waiting for the line to be up and running before starting development, well they are still waiting and waiting.

The lengthy delays don't just affect transit users, but mess up development plans for a good chunk of the city that badly needs it. I suspect a lot of people have lost trust in the city and its timelines.
Maclab's plans aren't particularly hinging on the LRT being open. Sure it helps, but they have been busy revisiting the current zoning and are planning changes to align with their redevelopment programme. I think we'll be hearing more about their plans in the near future.

Now that the VLE has opened, when will this project get going? Also, will it look like the original pictures shown?

Now that the VLE has opened, when will this project get going? Also, will it look like the original pictures shown?
I hope so, but the post above from a month ago from someone quite well connected in the development industry did say this project isn't contingent on the LRT being operational. I do hope that with their Garneau project finishing up, that they'll have a lot more resources to dedicate to getting this project going though

I hope so, but the post above from a month ago from someone quite well connected in the development industry did say this project isn't contingent on the LRT being operational. I do hope that with their Garneau project finishing up, that they'll have a lot more resources to dedicate to getting this project going though
Aren't they on The Parks too? I'd imagine they wait out that one too before moving on this.

I wandered around MWTC this afternoon. The area near the food court was busy, including a lineup at Tim Hortons, but the crowds grew sparse when reaching the barren storefronts.

Overall, the redevelopment plans cannot come soon enough. I'm hoping that the newly-opened Valley Line LRT will help expedite matters

The Valley line won't help directly with retail generally but it could help with (city-wide) hospitality/entertainment venues that brave trends and locate in or near TODs, thereby encouraging cross-city traffic and, secondarily, location of retail and service outlets -- the same way that Cook County Saloon lit the match for Old Strathcona back in the '70s.

IMG_1769.png
“Two 20-storey towers on a single 6 - storey podium.”

Here we go again...

What a great spot for some ToD - literally between the train and busses, meaning one less surface parking lot adjacent to transit!

1707414084622.png

1707413812869.png

Back