Michener Park Redevelopment | ?m | ?s

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
U of A steps closer to developing lands near south campus
Sharman said the first parcel likely up for development will be Michener Park — a series of student housing complexes at the west end of the Malmo Plains neighbourhood. The existing buildings were already slated for closure this summer.

"It has great opportunity for redevelopment as the buildings on it are at the end of their life, or past the end of their life," Sharman said. "And with it being within the city boundaries, close to transit, LRT, main arteries in an established community –– that's definitely one of the priorities for development."

The demolition has begun in earnest. Townhouse buildings in the far SW corner of the site have been razed, and it appears the rest are being prepped. Important trees have been fenced off and protected.

I wonder if the brutal concrete highrise is coming down too, the bi-level units are really cool and worth renovating imo.

IMGP2348_DxOsm.jpg
IMGP2354_DxOsm.jpgIMGP2353_DxOsm.jpgIMGP2346_DxOsm.jpg

I don't think the site has been sold unless someone knows differently. If not I would think the UA will be looking for a development partner like Westcorp - which happens to be who they awarded development right on a previous project iirc with the UA continuing to hold ownership of the land and the developer rents or sells units with the UA getting long term lease revenue. Not sure if that is the best way to make money off a valuable property but lots of developers and financial advisors would have an opinion on that.

Will certainly be interesting to see what they end up doing with it. Given their current cash/funding shortfalls that are such an immediate problem, I wouldn't be surprised if we see them take a hard look at outright selling it. Just another case of short term thinking by our government causing long term rippling effects.

Anyone ever been inside Vanier? Always looked like they were two story suites to me but I'm sure that wasn't the case.

There were pictures of 4 options for the site plan on the U of A real estate thread. Hope they try something different around the commercial area like a smaller grocery and street level retail on 48st leading into that park. Also they should push all parking underground, I think the location can get premium prices if it's done right.

I bet those were AWESOME apartments to rent back when they were newer. Two story suites with those massive windows would have been so gorgeous on the upper floors--especially if you had a west facing unit with views of Whitemud Ravine.

Had a friend live there back in the late 90s and it was going downhill fast back then. I don't recall two-storey units, but do recall an interesting dichotomy of some very family friendly/community floors and others being a rats nest and complete disorder.

Back