Michener Park Redevelopment | ?m | ?s

No, definitely not street oriented. Surface parking lot oriented sounds more accurate, but I don't think the marketing people would want that description to be used.

I go to the U-District regularly when coming in and out of Calgary for ice cream and to meet friends. It's VERY impressive and will put Michener and Blatch to shame.

If you've been to UBC's Wesbrook Village, it puts the U-District to shame, and it's much older.
They're a much better model to go by.

Images courtesy of Skyscraperpage Vancouver and UBC Properties Trust:

ubc5.png

sust2.png

sust.png

wesbr14.jpg

wesbr13.jpg

wesbr10.jpg

wesbr4.jpg

wesbr5.jpg

wesbr8.jpg

westland.jpg

wesb1.png

The orange-highlighted areas are all residential, and the darker orange buildings are planned.

ubc3.jpg

Attachments

• wesbr20.jpg
    wesbr20.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1
  • westland.jpg
    westland.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 2
  • wesbr21.jpg
    wesbr21.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
^yup, it's pretty nice. My father lives in the early phases of UBCPT across the street from there. Keep in mind that the organization and early developments are now 30 years old... so they have had a slight jump on things.

If you've been to UBC's Wesbrook Village, it puts the U-District to shame, and it's much older.
They're a much better model to go by.

View attachment 591812

Gorgeous indeed. But lets be real, Wall Financial isn't lining up to build anything like this in Michener Park. Probably because they can't sell for $1,400+ sqft

^yup, it's pretty nice. My father lives in the early phases of UBCPT across the street from there. Keep in mind that the organization and early developments are now 30 years old... so they have had a slight jump on things.
And they’re building with 2-3x the sale prices… gives you a bit more budget for landscaping and aesthetics.

Definitely, but it'd still be nice if we could find a middle ground between something like the UBC example and whatever lazy, uninspired pile of blah that this is...
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, all of our mid-rises look pretty much the same. I wonder if part of our issue is the lack of an Architecture program in the city, most of our cool projects have architecture firms from outside town. I ran into this project in Halifax by Fathom Studio, but even Calgary has way better mid-rise projects. Some of my favs are done by Faas.

I would kill to live in that neighbourhood.
It actually cleanses the eyes and soul.
Not to mention the natural scenery surrounding the area.

I totally agree the UBC development is much nicer and this could be much better. But it is adjacent to the University, whereas this housing is in a more suburban area further away, so I feel we are sort of comparing apples and oranges here.

To bad they could not have a lower parkade and a green space above.
The ramp already exists as it serves the existing apartments on site. The only surface parking lot will be the one that runs between the buildings. The building fronting 51 Avenue will be street-oriented with units fronting the avenue. This rendering isn't that detailed. In general this proposal is fine and basically completes what was planned many years ago.

Back