Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

That's not what I meant, which I believe was obvious. Single entrance double escalator with a single staircase (and fare gates).

It's not obvious and very misleading because all the elevated Canada Line stations have the same basic setup, but Richmond-Brighouse specifically is single-tracked and is effectively half a station as a result.

It's not obvious and very misleading because all the elevated Canada Line stations have the same basic setup, but Richmond-Brighouse specifically is single-tracked and is effectively half a station as a result.
I believe you knew what I meant and you're being pedantic.

I think the high floor line should avoid all at grade crossings that wouldn't allow for complete signal priority. Adding a single elevated station at Castle Downs would solve this. The 137th Ave and 127th St stations are fine as planned, but could easily be swapped for elevated stations to streamline construction. A return to grade could be done west of 127th.

These underground stations can't be cheap though? I'm sure more basic elevated stations like Richmond Brighouse in Vancouver could be built for a similar price on this extension.
No, let's stick with the underground/trenched stations at these locations. It seems that in this instance the City is making the right decision for the long-term. Particularly at 137 Avenue, where an at-grade crossing would be a disaster.

North of the CN rail yard, the line will be running through residential areas. There's no way any of those communities would go along with an elevated section.

No, let's stick with the underground/trenched stations at these locations. It seems that in this instance the City is making the right decision for the long-term. Particularly at 137 Avenue, where an at-grade crossing would be a disaster.

North of the CN rail yard, the line will be running through residential areas. There's no way any of those communities would go along with an elevated section.
Underground is fine. What do you think about the Castle Downs street crossing? Does it even make sense if the other two stations are grade separated?

I grew up right next to Castledowns Rd +153 and though I haven't lived there for a while, I have no real qualms with the design as envisioned. Occasionally, there's traffic but not always. To me, there's no real need to trench or elevate in that particular area.

Underground is fine. What do you think about the Castle Downs street crossing? Does it even make sense if the other two stations are grade separated?
I would rather see that crossing underground or trenched. However, I'm willing to live with it as proposed so long as the other two are underground--137 Avenue most of all. But you're right, having an underground/trenched station immediately before and after a street-level station with an at-grade crossing seems odd. It strikes me as the City trying to be cute by bringing the line back to the surface quickly to save a few bucks, then burying it again where it becomes problematic once more.

I suspect that the City would have proposed an elevated crossing at 137 Ave/113A St if it weren't in the middle of residential. The only reason they're going underground is because the neighbourhoods would revolt against the massive pylons and the very long ramps that would be required to get the trains up at 137 Avenue, through an elevated station and down again.

My nagging fear is that a future council pulls a Bonnie Doon/Heritage Valley and decides to run the line on the surface all the way north from Grand Trunk Park on the grounds that it's cheaper.

We've seen this movie before.

I believe you knew what I meant and you're being pedantic.

I didn't, and to the contrary I think you're shooting the messenger rather than admit your example was flawed.

I would have a preference to make it policy to grade seperate from any arterial roads.

Given how the Metro line has been built to date and the whole fracas with Ellerslie, I expect the number of at-grade crossings to increase due to cost concerns. Just hope there is actually money to start on it before the 2030s run their course.

All the barriers west of the line are gone and the road is basically finished up to new NAIT station.
1000007495.jpg
1000007497.jpg
1000007499.jpg
1000007502.jpg

I wonder if/when ETS will add a line to their station announcements as they have in Seattle and Portland where the announcements alerts passengers "Doors to my left (or right)"
It already exists, although it is a manual intervention the operator would have to make.

Back