Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

We could also go back to our roots (blatantly copying Frankfurt) and go for the Flexity Swift U5, might be more difficult since there hasn’t been any North American variants ordered.
IMG_3546.jpeg

I really hope they go with the S200s like Calgary...I know in the past we've piggybacked on their orders for the SD160s resulting in a better price per unit for both cities.
That's not quite accurate. Edmonton's first order were the first of the restyled SD160s. I don't recall the second group being piggybacks to Calgary's. They might have followed Calgary's on the production line, but I don't believe they were ever a piggyback onto Calgary's as Edmonton has different specs than Calgary.

That's not quite accurate. Edmonton's first order were the first of the restyled SD160s. I don't recall the second group being piggybacks to Calgary's. They might have followed Calgary's on the production line, but I don't believe they were ever a piggyback onto Calgary's as Edmonton has different specs than Calgary.
No, I recall an order where Calgary purchased forty SD160s and Edmonton tacked on an order for ten. We pooled our order with theirs to get a lower price per LRV from Siemens. During a town hall for the Valley Line, I actually raised the point with reps from the City Transportation department that opting for a low-floor line meant that we would no longer be able to pool our orders with Calgary. They conceded that this had been advantageous with the Siemens LRV but pointed out that the Valley Line was a different vision of LRT.

No, I recall an order where Calgary purchased forty SD160s and Edmonton tacked on an order for ten. We pooled our order with theirs to get a lower price per LRV from Siemens. During a town hall for the Valley Line, I actually raised the point with reps from the City Transportation department that opting for a low-floor line meant that we would no longer be able to pool our orders with Calgary. They conceded that this had been advantageous with the Siemens LRV but pointed out that the Valley Line was a different vision of LRT.
We never had an order of 10. We had 1 order of 37 and 1 order of 20.

I'm sure that a joint order could happen when it comes time to replace the original LRVs for the Valley and Green lines. Both systems use 7-segment LRVs

I will still hope for… the Alstom
Please for the sake of all that is holy, no Alstom products!!

We could also go back to our roots (blatantly copying Frankfurt) and go for the Flexity Swift U5, might be more difficult since there hasn’t been any North American variants ordered.
This has always been my dream, along with the U5-KR open gangway type sets which would allow for a fully continuous 5-car train, measurably increasing passenger capacity within the same length of platform. I repainted this drawing in ETS and Calgary colors:
[edit: ironically, the U5 is now technically an Alstom product 🤣]
ets_u5.png
ct_u5.png

Last edited:

Well at least the conversations are happening for potential joint orders in the future for the high floor fleet:
Administration continues to have conversations with the City of Calgary about possible joint LRV procurement opportunities...
An advantage of S200s would be the fact that in the past 8 or so years of operation, Calgary Transit and SF MUNI have already gone through most of the teething pains with these trains unlike a new vehicle from a different manufacturer

Last edited:
This has always been my dream, along with the U5-KR open gangway type sets which would allow for a fully continuous 5-car train, measurably increasing passenger capacity within the same length of platform. I repainted this drawing in ETS and Calgary colors:
View attachment 522091View attachment 522090
Oooh I like this haha thanks for making that

Re: Please for the sake of all that is holy, no Alstom products!!

They will be built in Canada. I stand by Alstom.

The new Lrv’s will be made by the Hyundai Rotem Company. I wonder if the pacific free trade agreement opened up a foreign supplier.

Last edited:

Minneapolis runs a low floor version of the Flexity Swift, so, there is indeed a North American variant. It a 70% low floor LRV, so high floor at the ends above the powered trucks and low floor in the middle.
Please for the sake of all that is holy, no Alstom products!!

What's wrong with Alstom?
I have heard rumors that the new LRV order could be single ended vehicles. Whether that means connected with a gangway like the U5-50, or more like Portland's S70's which are coupled conventionally and just have extra seating space, I'm not sure.

Seems like all their new mfg has problems like the Ottawa Citadis and the Avelia Liberty
Re Ottawa. Alstom was not the initial bid winner, the lrv’s were to be supplied by a Spanish company that was disqualified. Opportunities to optimize LRV’s to track design were lost.

Next, Ottawa demanded near subway levels of capacity from an lrt. The train designs for Ottawa did not exist when Alstom was brought on board. The changes made to the lrv’s to meet ottawa’s demands were untested in other markets.

Alstom LRV’s, metros and commuter rail livery systems operate the world over without issue. Ottawas embarrassing system is not Alstom’s making alone.

Back