Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

My renaming of LRT stations along the Metro Line expansion

Metro-Line-map-June-2015.jpg

On that note:

Originally, the proposed name for the station was the 76 Avenue Station; however both the Belgravia Community League and the McKernan Community League wanted the name to reflect their communities. After much discussion by the McKernan Community League Historian, Ed Stover, City Council voted to change the name to McKernan/Belgravia in October 2006.

Oh what a concept - using the names of neighbourhoods the line goes through, like Rosslyn and Griesbach. Far too logical for whomever in the city comes up with these things.
What seems to be forgotten is the fact that some of the people in those neighbourhoods might also want to go to Fort Edmonton. The stop names really should be Rosslyn-Fort Edmonton and Griesbach-Fort Edmonton.

Rookie mistake.

What seems to be forgotten is the fact that some of the people in those neighbourhoods might also want to go to Fort Edmonton. The stop names really should be Rosslyn-Fort Edmonton and Griesbach-Fort Edmonton.

Rookie mistake.
And don't forget our premier entertainment district's station: Fort Edmonton on Ice!

I think the northwest area of Edmonton has not seen growth like the far south of Edmonton. While there is a business case for building out northwest and to St. Albert, I think a collaborative proposal with Edmonton and St. Albert would drive the NW expansion forward. North Edmonton would do well with express/BRT bus service. Here's a map of the proposed transit network.

Will the Blatchford station, the one further north of the two in the area currently under construction, be the quietest station in the entire LRT network for the next 20+ years? Or will it be a transit centre for buses in the northwest and St. Albert?

Last edited:
I can see the Blatchford station, the one further north of the two in the area currently under construction, being the quietest station in the entire LRT network for the next 20+ years.
Definitely. If Council does decide to push the northwest expansion behind south and it ends up having trouble getting funded, there will be a lot of folks complaining about the "train to nowhere", which I think will hurt sentiment towards both the LRT and Blatchford.

With the northwest expansion you could atleast say it's only for a while as we expand the train up to existing populated communities.

Back