What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IMG_7704.jpeg

Excavation appears to have begun.

Yes, this was approved on July 2nd - McKernan @76. I will post imagens soon.
But picture this: Metro 78, Belgravia Heights and McKernan @76. We got 3 corners of the LRT station. The other one is the school. TOD at its best!
McKernan @76 is another TOD rezoning project that was approved in July.
As in other rezonings, we are helping the developer to approve the development permit which was submitted three weeks ago.
Here is a rendering of the building.
More information about the rezoning can be found in my presentation to City Council: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=227413

We have now approved TOD on three corners of the McKernan-Belgravia LRT station!
03_3D.jpg
McKernan NW Render-26Jun2024-with trees.jpg

As in other rezonings, we are helping the developer to approve the development permit which was submitted three weeks ago.
More information about the rezoning can be found in my presentation to City Council: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=227413

We have now approved TOD on three corners of the McKernan-Belgravia LRT station!View attachment 589209View attachment 589210
Oh I love

We have now approved TOD on three corners of the McKernan-Belgravia LRT station!View attachment 589209View attachment 589210

That representation of all 4 nearby projects is awesome!! McKernan/Belgravia might go from being one of the least special LRT stations to the most with all this mixed-use TOD. The station is literally surrounded by new TOD and amazing 🤩

Not sure if I'd be too happy if I was an adjacent home owner.

...Okay yknow what? Sure. If I lived in a house immediately adjacent to a development I may not be ecstatic either, with construction noise especially.

Thing is, Edmonton is a big and growing city. McKernan and Belgravia are neighbourhoods in the middle of this big city, and changing character and density are par for the course in an urban environment like ours. Adjusting isn't gonna be an easy ride, especially since change has been artificially suppressed for decades, thus giving people a false idea of what a city is supposed to be. With that said, if someone hates change around them and can't stand the idea of more people in their neighbourhood, the middle of the a big growing city might not be the right place for them to live, frankly.

...Okay yknow what? Sure. If I lived in a house immediately adjacent to a development I may not be ecstatic either, with construction noise especially.

Thing is, Edmonton is a big and growing city. McKernan and Belgravia are neighbourhoods in the middle of this big city, and changing character and density are par for the course in an urban environment like ours. Adjusting isn't gonna be an easy ride, especially since change has been artificially suppressed for decades, thus giving people a false idea of what a city is supposed to be. With that said, if someone hates change around them and can't stand the idea of more people in their neighbourhood, the middle of the a big growing city might not be the right place for them to live, frankly.
There has been a major road going through this area for years, also LRT for quite a long time and it is close to the University. So just having SFHs next to this really made no sense.

As cities grow and change, neighbourhoods do too and a lot of the areas that were developed around or post WWII with small now older houses will change because they are now fairly central in what is a much bigger city.

Construction noise is temporary and most people will accept and live with it. The more important thing that you didn't mention is the monetary impact that a project can have on an adjacent property. In many cases the impact is positive but that's not universally true and the people who are negatively impacted by a project are usually the people who don't have the means to defend themselves from an undesirable encroachment. Can people living in Glenora expect any multi story, multi family development in their neighbourhood anytime soon because they're closer to the middle of the city than McKernon and Belgravia are. I'm going to take a guess and say that they're safe from anything that would disturb the character of their neighbourhood.

Construction noise is temporary and most people will accept and live with it. The more important thing that you didn't mention is the monetary impact that a project can have on an adjacent property. In many cases the impact is positive but that's not universally true and the people who are negatively impacted by a project are usually the people who don't have the means to defend themselves from an undesirable encroachment. Can people living in Glenora expect any multi story, multi family development in their neighbourhood anytime soon because they're closer to the middle of the city than McKernon and Belgravia are. I'm going to take a guess and say that they're safe from anything that would disturb the character of their neighbourhood.
Wait, are we calling the people of mckernan Belgravia oppressed??

They’re some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in our city…

No. Not calling Belgravia oppressed. Saying that a multi story, multi family build next to a single family dwelling can have a negative impact on the monetary value of the single family dwelling. The owner of a corner lot will typically do well but the residential properties next to a multi generally become less desirable and harder to sell unless the owner is willing to accept a discounted price. I don't think that that's a groundbreaking observation.

No. Not calling Belgravia oppressed. Saying that a multi story, multi family build next to a single family dwelling can have a negative impact on the monetary value of the single family dwelling. The owner of a corner lot will typically do well but the residential properties next to a multi generally become less desirable and harder to sell unless the owner is willing to accept a discounted price. I don't think that that's a groundbreaking observation.
Speaking as a Belgravia resident here: this neighbourhood is second only to Glenora when it comes to neighbourhood opposition to development from wealthy residents. They have had the means to stop this kind of thing and have been doing so for a long time, the city has just stopped listening and thank god for that.

Agreed. That’s a risk. And most here are sympathetic to a degree. But does a guarantee that property values only appreciate exist somewhere? You could have a drug house next door. People that trash their landscaping. There’s always realities of change. And for anyone that’s lived near this LRT station for less than 20 years, it’s very clear what the objectives and direction of this area could be.

Construction noise is temporary and most people will accept and live with it. The more important thing that you didn't mention is the monetary impact that a project can have on an adjacent property. In many cases the impact is positive but that's not universally true and the people who are negatively impacted by a project are usually the people who don't have the means to defend themselves from an undesirable encroachment.
Sure, it might decrease the property value of an adjacent house in very specific circumstances, but there's so many other factors involved with that and usually new development is an indicator that your area is desirable and sought after, which almost always means higher property values across the board.

The fact that these projects are being built in Belgravia is proof enough that being wealthy and throwing money at stopping infill isn't going to work anymore, at least with this current city council. And believe me, Glenora is going to see a lot more densification along Stoney Plain Road soon enough with the VLW being built.

Can people living in Glenora expect any multi story, multi family development in their neighbourhood anytime soon because they're closer to the middle of the city than McKernon and Belgravia are. I'm going to take a guess and say that they're safe from anything that would disturb the character of their neighbourhood.
Interesting way to phrase that! Trust me, these buildings aren't a threat to the wealthy residents of these areas. You can be assured that they'll still be relatively expensive and targeted towards a wealthier demographic of buyers/renters if that puts your mind at ease. :)

Sure, it might decrease the property value of an adjacent house in very specific circumstances, but there's so many other factors involved with that and usually new development is an indicator that your area is desirable and sought after, which almost always means higher property values across the board.

The fact that these projects are being built in Belgravia is proof enough that being wealthy and throwing money at stopping infill isn't going to work anymore, at least with this current city council. And believe me, Glenora is going to see a lot more densification along Stoney Plain Road soon enough with the VLW being built.

Interesting way to phrase that! Trust me, these buildings aren't a threat to the wealthy residents of these areas. You can be assured that they'll still be relatively expensive and targeted towards a wealthier demographic of buyers/renters if that puts your mind at ease. :)

Back