Manulife Place Renovations | 145.99m | 36s | AIMCo | MdeAS

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Until we start attracting businesses, investment and jobs from the private sector I really don't expect retail to improve much in downtown.

I really don't see how businesses are the answer to downtown, it's residential first. You see this with 104th St and Ice District being the busiest areas, while the office areas are a virtual ghost town. The Loblaws didn't place itself facing Churchill Sq for a reason.

I'm gonna buy shoes at Foosh. I shop at The Helm and Henry Singer. I buy all my groceries at City Market.

Suburbanites aren't going to be the primary people supporting these businesses. That's not how this works besides the arena.

I really don't see how businesses are the answer to downtown, it's residential first. You see this with 104th St and Ice District being the busiest areas, while the office areas are a virtual ghost town. The Loblaws didn't place itself facing Churchill Sq for a reason.

I'm gonna buy shoes at Foosh. I shop at The Helm and Henry Singer. I buy all my groceries at City Market.

Suburbanites aren't going to be the primary people supporting these businesses. That's not how this works besides the arena.
It is more complicated than that and is a real chicken and egg problem - if there are not many jobs, a bunch of empty store fronts, with not much retail variety and you have to drive to get many basics, why would many people want to move downtown?

Cities that have thriving downtowns have many more businesses and employees working there than here and that in turn attracts residents. Residential can not support downtown business alone and putting it forth as a magic wand to solve our problems will not work.

Most of the bridge closures will be before the LRT opens sadly.
Yes, but there is already LRT to the NE, SW and SE. I experienced bridge closures here in the past, when I lived on the south side and worked downtown at a time with fewer LRT options than now.

Yes there was some inconvenience, but we all managed and I don't think it actually hurt downtown that much. It certainly wasn't the end of the world, but that was also a time when catatrophizing wasn't as popular.

Yes, but there is already LRT to the NE, SW and SE. I experienced bridge closures here in the past, when I lived on the south side and worked downtown at a time with fewer LRT options than now.

Yes there was some inconvenience, but we all managed and I don't think it actually hurt downtown that much. It certainly wasn't the end of the world, but that was also a time when catatrophizing wasn't as popular.
1727470908603.png

Back