What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Melcor's Westcor building is the official new home for Blue Plate!

Sounds like the tower separation was a big thing people were opposed to. More in this story.

I also noticed that all advertising for the tower has been removed from the street. Website was still up last I checked.

Hmm, I would've definitely had some things to say at that meeting in support of the tower.

This is DOWNTOWN EDMONTON we're talking about, not Old Glenora or East Crestwood. If the "heritage zoning" of the area was of utmost importance, than why were FIVE other high-rises allowed to be built? As a matter of fact, these high-rises are what ultimately breathed life into the area, so denying this one singular building after seeing the extremely positive effect that five other ones had is kind of ridiculous to me. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is very important to protect our city's heritage buildings and maintain the fabric the 104th street area, and Mackenzie Tower will continue to aid in that protection by bringing more people and more business to the area, not harm it! Also, no heritage buildings are going to be torn down to make way for it, either. Only a puny, 2 story building with no historic look and a parking lot.

Sheesh, some people have gotta look at the big picture here.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to getting some purpose built rentals on 104St maintaining that high energy and bringing in a certain dynamic. Lets just hope Limak doesn't flip it to a cheap investor that doesn't reinvest in their building once it's leased up.

In all your wise knowledge Mr Ian.... where do you think it goes from here? Expect nothing for a minimum of a couple years?

In all your wise knowledge Mr Ian.... where do you think it goes from here? Expect nothing for a minimum of a couple years?

My guess is that this will be attractive to someone to pick up, but given the vendor, it might be quite a premium unless they are in a cash-crunch.

The DC will be available to the purchaser and it could work for them, but in all likelihood, my guess is a much smaller-scale project in 5-7years.

Aww... well, I'll miss you Mackenzie 😔. Hopefully your design will inspire the new project just down the street.

A question though: IF another developer picks up this site and also wants to build a high-rise tower, could they use the design of the Mackenzie to at least inspire their design or even take it and slightly modify it to the current market conditions? I was wondering about if this was possible for other sites too...

A question though: IF another developer picks up this site and also wants to build a high-rise tower, could they use the design of the Mackenzie to at least inspire their design or even take it and slightly modify it to the current market conditions? I was wondering about if this was possible for other sites too...

AFAIK, a developer could buy the land the design too IF both were for sale by the owner. How common is this? Not sure, perhaps someone else could provide more insight on this. I would think most developers have their own ideas and budget in mind, so buying someone else's design may not work out well for those reasons

Last edited:

Back