Jasper House | 108m | ?s

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Note: the dark paint seemed to be something to do with priming or whatever... or they just saw the mistake and gave up. I drive past every single day, and not only it hasn't expanded, but I'm 99% sure they painted back with the original colours

I don't know, maybe they thought the gray would go better with the darker window frames and it makes some sense to paint at the same time as replacing the windows.

I do agree, the original colour or something close to it matches the character and age of the building.

I understand windows need to be replaced and things maintained or upgraded, but sometimes it is better to just leave other things alone and not try to create a strange amalgam between old and new.
Makes sense when considering what they have planned for the parking lot in front of it
concept 1 is better looking but concept 2 is interesting! 🤔
I like concept 2 better. I would improve concept 2 by making the link connect at the midpoint in the new tower and the northwest corner of the existing building idea. That would reduce the problem of reduced and views in the existing building and new building, provide added light into the courtyard, and may be cheaper to construct because of location
I'm 100% concept 2
Note: the dark paint seemed to be something to do with priming or whatever... or they just saw the mistake and gave up. I drive past every single day, and not only it hasn't expanded, but I'm 99% sure they painted back with the original colours

Somethings do not need a make over. Jasper House is a beloved space by many long term tenants and everyone who has ever walked or driven by. The fabulous artwork that adorns the west face already has the perfect backdrop and colours to enhance the wall sculpture. Let's hope Maclab leave it alone, and do not change the design or colour palette. http://www.edmontonmapsheritage.ca/location/jasper-house-apartments-1960/

Looks like they've since installed a black test panel now

20211208_092001.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^ There is nothing here by way of period relevance that would preclude the building being updated -- the developers are on the right track!

Is that just red tape holding the panel up? I can appreciate all they're trying to do is do some quick mockups but man does that look comically amateurish right along Jasper Ave.

Is that just red tape holding the panel up? I can appreciate all they're trying to do is do some quick mockups but man does that look comically amateurish right along Jasper Ave.
PL that baby on and tape it to hold it?

I think the grey top and bottom panels looks better with the black mullions - given only those 2 choices. They should have added all black on top and bottom panels to see as an option as well. Too bad its not a solid glazed wall - but I guess that would be a costly structural renovation beyond this window envelope.

For what it's worth, they've swapped out almost all windows on the ground floor now, and repainted the wall around the windows back to green (second picture)

This is the site I'm most excited to see developed. Anyone have any new updates for this one?

20220408_092154.jpg
20220408_184934.jpg

Last edited:

Back