News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

And Westjet fail. Bad enough my Palm Springs direct flight canceled at 3 AM. 2.5 hours with Westjet to get another connection by using Delta to Salt Lake City and Calgary. Then flight left late and now.at baggage carousel for 49 mnutes with not one piece out yet. Oh I did get food vouchers for my 3.5 hours change to 12 hour day. So tired Westjet.

Baggage started arriving after 1:02. Baggage area was a mess as at that point 5 other planes had landed. Felt so bad for the front line workers. No supervisors around. They did the best they could. And then leaving parking. What a gong show. Lineups of vehicles all stuck due to the new QR code system. 15 minutes stuck waiting. Again one parking attendant, doing a good job all alone. Two of the five exits blocked off. YEG disappointed. Where is the leadership?

Baggage started arriving after 1:02. Baggage area was a mess as at that point 5 other planes had landed. Felt so bad for the front line workers. No supervisors around. They did the best they could. And then leaving parking. What a gong show. Lineups of vehicles all stuck due to the new QR code system. 15 minutes stuck waiting. Again one parking attendant, doing a good job all alone. Two of the five exits blocked off. YEG disappointed. Where is the leadership?
Earlier in this thread it was posted that YEG is upgrading their baggage system so leadership seems to be aware of the issue. Write your complaint in.

Sad the QR code system is struggling so mightily.

February 2023 Numbers are out:

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 479,739 passengers (YTD 973,561 passengers)
  • Domestic 353,920 passengers (YTD 725,942 passengers)
  • Transborder 65,595 passengers (YTD 126,127 passengers)
  • International 60,224 passengers (YTD 121,492 passengers)

Fixed Base Operators (FBO)*​

• 43,590 passengers (YTD 88,878 passengers)

Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

• 523,329 passengers (YTD 1,062,439 passengers) - Rolling 12 month 6,381,158

Thanks, in my view, you should post the growth % as well - momentum is still quite strong based on the % growth close to or over 100% year over year in many categories. I wonder if we will hit 8m this year? Or more?

Terminal percent growth (%)​

• Terminal: 98.9% (YTD 106.4%)
  • Domestic 75.1% (YTD 81.9%)
  • Transborder 273.8% (YTD 314.5%)
  • International 179.6% (YTD 188.1%)

FBO percent growth (%)​

• 38.7% (YTD 50.0%)

Total percent growth (Terminal and FBO)​

• Month overall 91.9% (YTD 100.1%)

Agreed I should have included that. I expect the growth % to remain fairly high for March and April just looking at the numbers from last year. Second half of the year I don't expect growth to be as large.

As for 8M I think we are trending about 100K passengers/month shy of that comparing to 2015 which was a year we hit 7.98 Million total passengers.

Update on my rant yesterday. I emailed YEG and did get two responses back. Regarding baggage, not the airport’s responsibility, it is the airlines. Disappointing that communicating delays is not reasonable. And regarding the parking, got a so sorry you are having trouble with the QR code. Please come back. Based on the YEG website it looks the the QR code might be an internal solution that they are trying to market to others. https://flyeia.com/business/parking-management-solutions/services/

Where’s YEG?

I get that Vancouver is a considerably bigger city that is actually deserving of being a hub, unlike other sometimes pretentious places.

However, you know, Edmonton is sort of on the way, so they could start the flight there and add passengers here. Win, win for both.

I think YEG is probably thinking 2024 or 2025 for the return of Icelandair.

They were burned in the past with incumbent carrier leaving after Icelandair added.

Likely want to give Condor a chance to mature and see increase in KLM service before incentivizing Icelandair.

Just my two cents on what's actually happening.

Back