News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Bigger question is: Is Edmonton even part of the province for them?
I imagine the map at the Calgary UCP headquarters looks like this:

Edf9itTU8AENaCp.jpg

@ryanjespersen
Covered a lot in front of a packed house! Of note: Premier says trains from #yyc & #yeg airports to downtown is a top priority

The only specific money allocated for rail to airport for either city was this:

$5 million in 2023-24 to support the City of Calgary to explore light and heavy rail connections from the airport to downtown, and to assist with engineering activities on the Blue Line extension

But with the upcoming election, that may be an UCP promise.

I don't even want to fathom the cost of a train from YEG to downtown. YYC has LRT relatively close by, it'd be a drop in the bucket in comparison.

I don't even want to fathom the cost of a train from YEG to downtown. YYC has LRT relatively close by, it'd be a drop in the bucket in comparison.
Kinda like Calgary's Green Line - that has some scary costs associated with it. Costs keep going up and the line gets shorter. But I think the funding will be there for it.

Last edited:
To be fair, unless it was tied into a larger commuter rail line (or the eventual in 300 years HSR) I think they'd just extend the LRT south and run limited trains from the airport. Would just have to connect to Heritage Valley rather than going all the way downtown.

It's not great but not terrible. The vast majority of the area right now is farmland that I'm pretty sure hasn't been sold to developers yet and the only grade separations I anticipate them needing (until the city plans new arterial roadways in that area) are at 41st Avenue and Highway 19. As long as we preserve a good ROW now (and maybe lay the necessary utilities in the ROW proactively), we just have to lay rails and it should be reasonably affordable ($2 billion in today's money?).

I was looking to book tickets to Denver direct from YEG. It appears that direct is double the price compared to connecting through YYC. Anyone know why?

I was looking to book tickets to Denver direct from YEG. It appears that direct is double the price compared to connecting through YYC. Anyone know why?

as mentioned due to the ridership of that flight, United can essentially charge whatever they want and the plane will be full

YEG has a fairly limited supply of seats for the nonstop and with the only other Star Alliance trans-border offering being the daily CR9 to SFO the alternatives are limited as well. YYC has many more options on UA/AC and stiffer competition with WS/DL

To be fair, unless it was tied into a larger commuter rail line (or the eventual in 300 years HSR) I think they'd just extend the LRT south and run limited trains from the airport. Would just have to connect to Heritage Valley rather than going all the way downtown.
If it could be an extension from Heritage Valley, it probably actually wouldn't cost a lot as it would be going through what is now undeveloped land.

Back