News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Always little projects going on. Last weekend a good chunk of the value park lot (closest to the terminal) was blocked off and they were doing some curbing and other improvements. Also they recently cleaned up some of the metal stairwells and ramps in the parkade area that were getting pretty rusty looking.

Arrivals entrance B in the north wing of the terminal has now reopened (I think quite recently) so that saves some time for people. The escalator that would travel upwards at that door between arrivals and departures level was our of service. That end of the arrivals level is just so tired and dated.

Air Canada slashing some major routes from Calgary. Couldn't find if anything at YEG is impacted.

"Air Canada is slashing six major routes out of Calgary this winter, in part due to an industry-wide pilot shortage. The airline confirmed Wednesday it will no longer offer non-stop flights from Calgary to Ottawa, Halifax, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Cancun, or Frankfurt as of the end of October."

Air Canada has been prioritizing its Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver markets, and has recently eliminated a number of regional routes in Western Canada as well as direct service to some larger western Canadian cities, such as Regina and Saskatoon.

Last edited:
Air Canada slashing some major routes from Calgary. Couldn't find if anything at YEG is impacted.

"Air Canada is slashing six major routes out of Calgary this winter, in part due to an industry-wide pilot shortage. The airline confirmed Wednesday it will no longer offer non-stop flights from Calgary to Ottawa, Halifax, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Cancun, or Frankfurt as of the end of October."

FfA59waacAAS26n.jpg

Always little projects going on. Last weekend a good chunk of the value park lot (closest to the terminal) was blocked off and they were doing some curbing and other improvements. Also they recently cleaned up some of the metal stairwells and ramps in the parkade area that were getting pretty rusty looking.

Arrivals entrance B in the north wing of the terminal has now reopened (I think quite recently) so that saves some time for people. The escalator that would travel upwards at that door between arrivals and departures level was our of service. That end of the arrivals level is just so tired and dated.
Yup! The rusting and bird poop in that area was atrocious! I can't remember the last time that escalator even worked……still kind of admire the old school’ness of the old terminal

Air Canada has been prioritizing its Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver markets, and has recently eliminated a number of regional routes in Western Canada as well as direct service to some larger western Canadian cities, such as Regina and Saskatoon.

Although it would be easy to indulge in schadenfreude, this is bad news for Calgary and Western Canada. Any reduction in connectivity from a Western Canadian city, whether Vancouver, Edmonton or even Calgary, is always negative for consumers and for the regional and provincial economies.

The other destinations will likely still have WestJet service, so the only result is a reduction of choice plus extra time and hassle for those who fly AC for Aeroplan reasons. The one that REALLY bothers me is the loss of Frankfurt from the winter schedule. Neither Lufthansa nor WestJet competes with AC on this route, so this is not good. Frankfurt is one of Star Alliance's most important hubs in Europe.

I haven't been on a plane since 2019. I'd like to fly to Europe within the next year or so, however the airline industry has been a gong show since the pandemic.

Although it would be easy to indulge in schadenfreude, this is bad news for Calgary and Western Canada. Any reduction in connectivity from a Western Canadian city, whether Vancouver, Edmonton or even Calgary, is always negative for consumers and for the regional and provincial economies.

The other destinations will likely still have WestJet service, so the only result is a reduction of choice plus extra time and hassle for those who fly AC for Aeroplan reasons. The one that REALLY bothers me is the loss of Frankfurt from the winter schedule. Neither Lufthansa nor WestJet competes with AC on this route, so this is not good. Frankfurt is one of Star Alliance's most important hubs in Europe.
How long has it been since Lufthansa pulled out of Calgary? I flew with them in 2011

That would require having routes to slash!

SSP is all aflutter over the Calgary cuts, and now they are saying these cuts are no longer restricted to winter. Does anyone where they (and Global apparently) are getting their info from? It would be nice to see if any other cities are being affected with cuts.

SSP is all aflutter over the Calgary cuts, and now they are saying these cuts are no longer restricted to winter. Does anyone where they (and Global apparently) are getting their info from? It would be nice to see if any other cities are being affected with cuts.
An email I received from Air Canada today down below - amusingly generic email I might say though as I am not a frequent flyer through YYC and have intentionally not flown through YYC on Air Canada since I cant even remember when:

"This week Air Canada made some schedule changes, which included several adjustments and targeted reductions to our Calgary‑based routes. These changes are made to help us improve operational reliability across our system for all customers, and particularly for the most frequent travellers on our Calgary‑based routes.

We will proactively accommodate all customers impacted by these bookings. If you have an affected booking, you will hear from us about alternative travel options, re‑routing through other airports, or your choice of a full refund.

The following routes will be suspended effective October 30:

• Flights between Calgary and Halifax
  • Flights between Calgary and Ottawa
  • Flights between Calgary and Los Angeles
  • Flights between Calgary and Honolulu
  • Flights between Calgary and Cancun
These destinations will continue to be available with multiple options serviced every day via our hubs in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.

Additionally, effective October 30, our flights between Calgary and Frankfurt will now be serviced non‑stop by a Lufthansa Group airline, maintaining the same connectivity to Lufthansa’s global network. You will continue to be eligible for Aeroplan earning and redemption, access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, and Concierge services in both Calgary and Frankfurt when choosing this destination.

As a frequent traveller of YYC routes, we want you to know that Air Canada remains committed to Calgary. By far, we will still be YYC’s second largest airline, offering as many as 10,000 seats daily, in addition to the thousands of seats offered by our partners United and Lufthansa. Together, every day, we continue to connect you to our Canadian, U.S., and international network.

Our Calgary-based customers are some of our most engaged Air Canada customers and Aeroplan Elite members, and our commitment to being your favourite travel loyalty program and airline remains unchanged. Earning your business and delivering on the unparalleled value that Air Canada and Aeroplan combined has to offer is what you can continue to count on from us.

Thank you for your Loyalty."

An email I received from Air Canada today down below - amusingly generic email I might say though as I am not a frequent flyer through YYC and have intentionally not flown through YYC on Air Canada since I cant even remember when:

"This week Air Canada made some schedule changes, which included several adjustments and targeted reductions to our Calgary‑based routes. These changes are made to help us improve operational reliability across our system for all customers, and particularly for the most frequent travellers on our Calgary‑based routes.

We will proactively accommodate all customers impacted by these bookings. If you have an affected booking, you will hear from us about alternative travel options, re‑routing through other airports, or your choice of a full refund.

The following routes will be suspended effective October 30:

• Flights between Calgary and Halifax
  • Flights between Calgary and Ottawa
  • Flights between Calgary and Los Angeles
  • Flights between Calgary and Honolulu
  • Flights between Calgary and Cancun
These destinations will continue to be available with multiple options serviced every day via our hubs in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.

Additionally, effective October 30, our flights between Calgary and Frankfurt will now be serviced non‑stop by a Lufthansa Group airline, maintaining the same connectivity to Lufthansa’s global network. You will continue to be eligible for Aeroplan earning and redemption, access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, and Concierge services in both Calgary and Frankfurt when choosing this destination.

As a frequent traveller of YYC routes, we want you to know that Air Canada remains committed to Calgary. By far, we will still be YYC’s second largest airline, offering as many as 10,000 seats daily, in addition to the thousands of seats offered by our partners United and Lufthansa. Together, every day, we continue to connect you to our Canadian, U.S., and international network.

Our Calgary-based customers are some of our most engaged Air Canada customers and Aeroplan Elite members, and our commitment to being your favourite travel loyalty program and airline remains unchanged. Earning your business and delivering on the unparalleled value that Air Canada and Aeroplan combined has to offer is what you can continue to count on from us.

Thank you for your Loyalty."
Ah right, thanks. Why don't they post this info on their website? It's frustrating to see people posting all this garble about route changes, but not knowing where people are getting their info from. I'm clearly not a 'valued customer' as I don't get those emails, so people like me are left in the dark.

Personally I'm fine with it, as Calgary has too much of a stranglehold on other prairie city airport growth. The fewer people funnelled through Calgary, the better for cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Ah right, thanks. Why don't they post this info on their website? It's frustrating to see people posting all this garble about route changes, but not knowing where people are getting their info from. I'm clearly not a 'valued customer' as I don't get those emails, so people like me are left in the dark.

Personally I'm fine with it, as Calgary has too much of a stranglehold on other prairie city airport growth. The fewer people funnelled through Calgary, the better for cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg.

I don't think Air Canada cutting these routes is going to get them to re-invest in YEG and YWG

Back