ICE District Block IJ | ?m | ?s | ICE District Prop. | Next Architecture

nmAxvLY.png
It looks like this design is going ahead.

"[Oilers Entertainment Group corporate communications vice president Tim Shipton] said construction will begin in May, with a scheduled opening date in July. The dog park is being designated as interim because there are plans to have offices eventually constructed on the space.

'Those plans are going to extend out over several years so we expect that dog park to be there for a significant period of time while we sequence the development of Phase 2,'

Shipton noted a green space is part of the Ice District Phase 2 plan, which will allow people, including dog owners and their pets, to enjoy the space."

Not to make the bar sound so low, but I do quite appreciate them allocating resources to build a temporary community space rather than leaving a chainlink wasteland.

Hey, mayhap they think they have won the Canadian Western Bank Lotto -- and mayhap they have. Maybe doggies will have to drop their collective loads elsewhere.

So is the rest of the lot still going to be a surface parking lot? Not that I thought the dog park was going to be huge, but it seams more ornamental to put lipstick on a pig next to the arena.

It would be nice to have a park here and I expect the dogs will like it, but if they are coming from the south or east, there are some major roads to cross. It is better than an empty lot or a parking lot.

From the May 4, 2021 Edmonton Design Committee Meeting Minutes:
B.4. Village at Ice District (Informal / RZ) Yolanda Lew - Stantec P. Spearey provided a summary of the project.

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/PDF/EdmontonDesignCommittee_Minutes_May04-2021.pdf

Thanks for referencing my post @IanO.
What "is" Village at Ice District? Is this a Katz/ONE development north of the arena or?

Yes, this project is north of Rogers Place:
https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/neighbourhoods/ice-phase-2-rezoning.aspx

The proposed rezoning would allow for the development of a high-density, mixed-use area with residential units, retail, and commercial space.

Back