Horne and Pitfield Building Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Limak Investments

A 10-storey Boutique hotel with amenities on 3 additional floors would do quite well in this area -- again proximity to the ICE district and a facility (the arena) that is likely to benefit from daily use (or close to it) as time marches on. Same is true for condos.
Perhaps Edmonton will finally get a Le Germain or ALT branded hotel since Edmonton is literally the only major Canadian city without either of those hotels. But as said above, the track record, or lack of track record, of this developer does not demonstrate any previous success of developing a tower like this nor what it would take to land a hotel brand.

I truly hope the city is not allowing this to get torn down only for it to sit empty for a rezone flip.

We don't have the market for a Le Germain, but similar to the MacKenzie proposal I fully expect an ALT + to the hotel brand. Oddly enough, he had the hotel stuff wrapped up, but couldn't sell a condo for the life of him (or us).

Third times a charm?

We don't have the market for a Le Germain, but similar to the MacKenzie proposal I fully expect an ALT + to the hotel brand. Oddly enough, he had the hotel stuff wrapped up, but couldn't sell a condo for the life of him (or us).

Third times a charm?
I'd argue we do have the market. JW and Le Germain serve a similar market and the JW has proven that there is that market in Edmonton that was/has been underserved. And Le Germain hotels are typically smaller in size than JWs.

Either way, even an ALT or other boutique hotel would be welcome especially in that area but I still throw a 5% probability anything gets done there. More than happy to be proven wrong on the third times a charm but fool me once shame on you fool me three times shame on me.

I'd be happy with an Alt hotel.

There is an Alt in Saskatoon:

224197893.jpg

The article suggests that Stantec is a co-developer in partnership with Limak and not simply an architectural/engineering consultant -- if true, the development has gained the substance that it needs. Limak likely was able to bring the hotel operator to the table which peaked Stantec's interest. A boutique hotel will do very well here, as will retail and eatery hospitality considering the proximity to the ICE district. The development stands to plug in some of the holes that the ICE District missed when catering ground floor space to banks. The whole will also help with the leasing up of space within the ICE District and put pressure for "more" in the area. I really like the evident results here. And as an added thought -- the building's design really does play off of the Stantec tower design (as noted by @itom987) -- a good thing -- kind of wedding the building more closely to the ICE District -- all positive.

If development pressure gains any kind of mass, it will bode well for an extra 5 floors being added to the third ICE district office tower, subleased until the CWB grows into it. It will also put Mr. Katz in a frame of mind to develop his property on 104th Street north of the Limak development, perhaps linking to that development via pedway and in turn to the ICE District. I also believe that tremendous pressure will be put on what was formerly known as the "Bay Parkade" to redevelop into a mixed use tower, especially being attached to ECC and its redevelopment.

The article suggests that Stantec is a co-developer in partnership with Limak and not simply an architectural/engineering consultant -- if true, the development has gained the substance that it needs. Limak likely was able to bring the hotel operator to the table which peaked Stantec's interest. A boutique hotel will do very well here, as will retail and eatery hospitality considering the proximity to the ICE district. The development stands to plug in some of the holes that the ICE District missed when catering ground floor space to banks. The whole will also help with the leasing up of space within the ICE District and put pressure for "more" in the area. I really like the evident results here. And as an added thought -- the building's design really does play off of the Stantec tower design (as noted by @itom987) -- a good thing -- kind of wedding the building more closely to the ICE District -- all positive.

The article does suggest that, but alas, Stantec is only acting as consultant here and possibly additional design work when/if a hotelier/condo are solidified. I called Stantec to confirm.
With some momentum of Ice District and CWB plus the lrt getting closer and closer by the year and the nearby warehouse park and the Parks project, maybe those will provide the extra boost needed.

As noted, they originally wanted a 10 year sunset clause and that was reduced by council to 5.

Stantec being involved is something to celebrate, though.
How do you figure? Stantec is rarely involved in multi-family developments in Edmonton, and the ones that they have been involved with haven't gone ahead (Milner Building as an example). I have nothing against Stantec, but they're not a big player in this market in Edmonton. Dialog is the big player, along with a few others like Jim Der, Hodgson Schilf, Brian Gardner, etc. I see no reason to assume that Stantec is acting as a co-developer or that they're putting their own capital behind the project. Certainly not from ready some tea leaves in a CBC article. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Glad that council put a 5 year sunset on this. Limak has little or no capability to actually build a project like this. Tick tock.

How do you figure? Stantec is rarely involved in multi-family developments in Edmonton, and the ones that they have been involved with haven't gone ahead (Milner Building as an example). I have nothing against Stantec, but they're not a big player in this market in Edmonton. Dialog is the big player, along with a few others like Jim Der, Hodgson Schilf, Brian Gardner, etc. I see no reason to assume that Stantec is acting as a co-developer or that they're putting their own capital behind the project. Certainly not from ready some tea leaves in a CBC article. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Glad that council put a 5 year sunset on this. Limak has little or no capability to actually build a project like this. Tick tock.
So in 5 years, will they then have to replace the building they took down exactly, brick by brick?

It doesn't seem to permeate Edmonton's collective mind that tearing buildings down in usually a permanent thing, where the plans to replace them are sometimes ephemeral. When will we learn, if ever?

I am somewhat hopeful hearing Stantec is involved, but some of the comments here have diminished this hope somewhat. Does Stantec really want to get a reputation like the owner of the Arlington? I hope they are seriously considering this, if this goes badly it will blow up on them.

Are people not reading MY post above before commenting? Haha
Not to be self-centred but I already shared that Stantec was only involved as a consultant. In terms of developer, Limak is flying solo on this.

Back