East Junction | 86m | 25s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
20190722_205002.jpg

20190722_204727.jpg20190722_204817.jpg20190722_204932.jpg20190722_205002.jpg

This development will be occupying multiple blocks of land adjacent to the main street. It is also conveniently located close to the upcoming LRT Station and consequential Bonnie Doon Mall redevelopment. Including senior and children parks, biking and jogging paths, and other amenities are commendable and potent to attracting a diverse community. However, I would like to see flour-plans that are inviting to growing families. Apartments in such developed or busy areas are often limited to 2 bedrooms or less. More diverse arrays of floorpans including bilevel 3 beds and 1.5(+) baths will potentially attract growing families with children for longer periods of time. As such, these families will have a more affordable living option than a private home, and add to the diversity of the community. More spacious variations of floorpans can give luxury, convenient, and communal living alternatives to private homes. Also considering the surrounding area is mainly consisting of retired residences, and bachelor, studio , 1-2 bed , and 35+ adult apartments, and that the mall redevelopment will also introduce more senior homes, targeted family friendly floor-plans will be a key differentiation of this development.

@InnovativeDesigner Welcome to the forum! Do you live in the area?

The complete development will have at least 120 "family-oriented" units (by the city's definition which I'm fuzzy on at the moment), and at least 20% of those will be on the south half of the site, which may be starting construction soon (mostly that stipulation was to ensure that at least some got built in the first phase so as not to offload it to later phases or not at all if the development never completes).

We (the Holyrood Development Committee) did try to get a commitment to a particular number of 2.5, 2+den or 3-bed units, but were shot down on that.

It's unfortunate because 120 units doesn't cover even what currently/previously existed on the site, so we're facing a net loss of specifically family-oriented units, but there is every possibility that some families will still live in the development with 2-bed+2bath units, and at 1,200 total units there's certainly hope that the numbers will add up.

@InnovativeDesigner Welcome to the forum! Do you live in the area?

The complete development will have at least 120 "family-oriented" units (by the city's definition which I'm fuzzy on at the moment), and at least 20% of those will be on the south half of the site, which may be starting construction soon (mostly that stipulation was to ensure that at least some got built in the first phase so as not to offload it to later phases or not at all if the development never completes).

We (the Holyrood Development Committee) did try to get a commitment to a particular number of 2.5, 2+den or 3-bed units, but were shot down on that.

It's unfortunate because 120 units doesn't cover even what currently/previously existed on the site, so we're facing a net loss of specifically family-oriented units, but there is every possibility that some families will still live in the development with 2-bed+2bath units, and at 1,200 total units there's certainly hope that the numbers will add up.
Thanks,
No I do not live in the community. I took some interest in that community when we where moving due to the great bus connections. It turns out that choosing 3 beds in most search engines limits the search considerably to only a few apartments and lots of private homes. Amongst those apartments many 3 beds only have a single bath, which is not ideal for a family of five.
I also might be considering planning as a field of higher studies. I have lately been taking lots of interest in development projects around the city. Unfortunately I have learned about this one recently, after the public hearings. As far as I have seen amongst the more recent modern developments in the city from condo apartments for sale to rental properties, 2 beds are the most common. 3 beds are super rare and extremely expensive. I see the values of the convenient locations and luxurious amenities offered by many developers, yet I personally find renting a private home with a full basement at $ 2,000 more practical than a 3 bed apartment at $3,500. On the same note a 3 bed basement is not always as ideal as a 3 bed apartment. The government is subsiding infill developments where one old house is demolished to establish two semi-detached houses on the same space. So many new gorgeous luxurious condo apartments are blooming throughout the city. Yet, a potential new and promising category of bilevel apartments with more beds, dens, home offices and guest rooms is not getting much attention. While developers speak of diversified communities, growing families are still moving out to newer single home communities developing in the outskirts of the city.

@InnovativeDesigner Yep, there's still a lot of issues to be resolved when it comes to affordability. A lot of costs of new greenfield developments are still externalized and deferred, while the costs of infill are very upfront. We need to continue to expose the true costs of sprawl to builders and buyers in order to even the playing field.

There's one thing that stuck out for us, though, and I'll talk about that at a later date.

Turns out this was a non-issue. There were some miscommunications about the landscape plans and we were given the impression that there was going to be copious amounts of artificial turf used throughout the development instead of natural grass, and we had filed an appeal on this basis. After some roundabout conversations it was determined that there is only one location where artificial turf will be used (one small area outside the south tower), and we dropped our appeal.

Back