Hat @ Old Strathcona | 66.14m | 20s | Cidex Group

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IMG_6054.jpeg

The red rectangle is the current construction site.

Is the purple rectangle going to be part of the Cidex development as well? (Where the two aforementioned towers are going to go?)

Thanks!

With the forms now coming looks like 3 levels of parking. Wonder what the breakdown will be with residents parking and public paid parking?
Never looked at it this way before but I would love to see some sort of public parkade in Old Strathcona similar in ilk to the Ice District Central Parkade. Probably an unpopular opinion though.

I'd prefer not adding parking at all. Even if underground. Strathcona is supposed to be the "walkable", "urbanist" neighborhood and encouraging people to drive around everywhere is not a good thing imo. I'd only be okay with resident parking. If you're going to this area, either drive to a park and ride, take transit, walk or ride your bike. Whyte Ave has enough traffic as is.

If you're going to this area, either drive to a park and ride, take transit, walk or ride your bike. Whyte Ave has enough traffic as is.
LRT connection to this area is horrible, and I honestly doubt a lot of people who live in the suburbs (who are still patrons of Whyte Ave businesses) will be very interested in the Drive+LRT+Bus to get there, especially I the winter. I certainly am not, as much as I am a transit enthusiast in general, it doesn't make sense.

if I'm already going to be driving 10 minutes to Millwoods, or 12-15 to Century Park, for the park-and-ride (and pay for parking), to then pay the transit fare and spend another 10-15 on the LRT, and then another 10+ on a bus (not counting waiting times), I might as well drive all the way to Whyte. It's faster and cheaper.

If the park-and-ride was free, the direct connection to Whyte was faster and less convoluted, I'd be willing to take transit. As is, I'd probably not go, if I can't park there. A 20min ride with $10-15 parking, becomes a 40-50 minute trip with the same $10-15 parking + $7 transit fares.

If we can have off-street parking (preferably accessible through back alleys and side streets) that can help enhance the walkability of the area by reducing on-street parking and giving more of the street back to pedestrians, then I'm all for it.

The problem isn't the parking itself but the traffic it will bring to the area. The Whyte Ave corridor is a pain to get through at any time of the day. It's especially bad during peak times, busses are frequently delayed as a result of congestion. If this sets a standard for developments in and around Whyte, there will be major repercussions and an even greater concentration of traffic in the area, which is already one of the worst parts of the city for congestion.

It's especially bad during peak times, busses are frequently delayed as a result of congestion.
Honestly, in the end, the congestion might not be a bad thing if we add bus lanes, to prioritize transit.

Back to my argument in the previous post, if the drive to Whyte and back starts to get longer, close to 40-45min because of congestion, and transit is as fast/faster, it starts making a case for the park-and-ride scenario you said.

But as is, even with congestion, driving is still way more convenient for people who are coming to Whyte from further places.

The problem isn't the parking itself but the traffic it will bring to the area. The Whyte Ave corridor is a pain to get through at any time of the day. It's especially bad during peak times, busses are frequently delayed as a result of congestion. If this sets a standard for developments in and around Whyte, there will be major repercussions and an even greater concentration of traffic in the area, which is already one of the worst parts of the city for congestion.
As well as a lot of local traffic, it is the major east west road connecting the U of A and hospital area with areas to the east including large suburban areas there.

Until or unless there is another route, it will get more and more congested as the city and surrounding areas grow.

It is a catch 22 situation. Transit is horrible, so one opts for driving only to create this viscous cycle. With population exploding to the city and metro, the civic leaders must start looking at some form of re-assessment to diagnose this situation and forward to the future.

I will continue to bang the drum of at least the area from Bonnie Doon to University needing/deserving a grade separated transit project. Hopefully this gets council's attention when they begin to consider future priorities beyond the current batch of projects. Even if they started to consider it in the second half of this decade, by the time a line were to open metro Edmonton will surely be pushing 2 million.

Back