Hat @ Old Strathcona | 66.14m | 20s | Cidex Group

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nice views of a futuristic Old Strathcona from 2 years ago, however I don't think construction has even started yet.

Take a tour of the proposed multi-phase development, HAT @ Old Strathcona, located in one of Edmonton, AB’s prominent cultural and economic districts. The architecture and master planning integrates the rich historical detailing, scale and materiality of the Whyte Avenue district into a highly detailed pedestrian oriented podium design. This mixed-use rental project introduces 457 new units across three towers, including variety of unit type, amenities and rich boutique retail to attract new residents to the redeveloped area. This nearly full city block owned by the City of Edmonton was won by competition by the developer Cidex. NORR acquired the Land Use for the site in a two-year approval process and is now embarking on the Development Permit process to begin construction in 2021. Cidex Group of Companies

Get er' going!
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.30.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.30.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.31.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.43.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.43.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.43.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.44.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.45.15 AM.png

Of all the imminent and more "realistic" projects that may be forthcoming in the city, this probably gets my vote for most anticipated project coming up.

The giant swath of parking in the area is a major eyesore and has been begging for development forever. The renders look solid, well thought out and could very well capture the spillover effect of people hanging around Whyte. I also like the plaza they have planned and could see a nice combination of day + nightlife taking place there with the right mix of retailers.The added density and number of residents would be great for nearby businesses and general activity. I just feel like this project, once fully complete, will be a huge shot in the arm for Old Strathcona.

Side note: I hope that if this project is a success, it could mean someone is more likely to take a chance on giving the Old Scona building next door a new lease on life, as well as someone developing that eyesore of a lot right across the street from it.

If they build all 3 towers this area near whyte will look VERY urban
Longer term that is the plan. That said, as previously noted somewhere in this thread, they are starting with the north side first, which includes a tower and the smaller podium building. South of the east west lane (middle of the site) will be the second phase.

Now that Polar Park went under, one has to think about whether that could have been integrated into the overall project, at least from a landscaping perspective.

Longer term that is the plan. That said, as previously noted somewhere in this thread, they are starting with the north side first, which includes a tower and the smaller podium building. South of the east west lane (middle of the site) will be the second phase.

Now that Polar Park went under, one has to think about whether that could have been integrated into the overall project, at least from a landscaping perspective.
Maybe integrate it somehow, but I like that building so I do hope they keep it. Best of all it is being built on an empty lot, so nothing needs to be torn down and it will fill this area in nicely.

This will not replace any 3 story walk ups, but it will add options for newer nicer housing to the area and so perhaps change the mix of who lives there somewhat.

Back