Exhibition Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Where on the map is the relocated Coliseum Station? I thought it was moving down to the Southside of Expo Centre and the track? Was there to be a new station North of the coliseum once it is bulldozed?

Where on the map is the relocated Coliseum Station? I thought it was moving down to the Southside of Expo Centre and the track? Was there to be a new station North of the coliseum once it is bulldozed?
It won't be moved for quite a while. They're one at 115 Ave in around five years, and within the next two years they'll renovate the original Coliseum Station. Coliseum won't be replaced until the Exbidition Lands project makes its way north in later years.

Also the "Cow Barn" was home to both the Oilers and the Oil Kings before the Coliseum was built. It has a very storied history; too bad it was demolished -- and now the same fate is awaiting the Coliseum.
BTW today is a trifecta for me -- Birthday (I'm 75 today), Father's Day, and Juneteenth -- I think I'll celebrate!

Also the "Cow Barn" was home to both the Oilers and the Oil Kings before the Coliseum was built. It has a very storied history; too bad it was demolished -- and now the same fate is awaiting the Coliseum.
BTW today is a trifecta for me -- Birthday (I'm 75 today), Father's Day, and Juneteenth -- I think I'll celebrate!
Happy Father's Birthday'nth!

^^^^ You forgot about Web Pierce, Kitty Wells, Hank Snow and Ray Price in the '50s. But here is a date that is even more significant -- Chuck Berry played at the Edmonton Gardens on March 2nd, 1957 and said that he couldn't do his famous "duck walk" because he was too damned cold.

I thought I read somewhere that Pink Floyd was scheduled for a concert in 1970 but the doors of the Edmonton Gardens were shut and they couldn't get in.

It won't be moved for quite a while. They're one at 115 Ave in around five years, and within the next two years they'll renovate the original Coliseum Station. Coliseum won't be replaced until the Exbidition Lands project makes its way north in later years.
Thank you for clearing this up. I had no idea what state of renovation/rebuild/decay Coliseum is in despite it being a mile away from my house. Like I said in the other thread about transit safety/security once that bloody machete was swung at me I swore off ETS ESPECIALLY Coliseum station and where I spent more time than I'd care to imagine waiting under the station on 118 for the eastbound #8. Also where I can tell you I was egged and called a faggot for waiting for a bus with my headphones in... Classy town amiright?

Here comes the sun! Edmonton building largest rooftop solar array in Canada​
August 18, 2022

The Edmonton Expo Centre will soon be home to the largest rooftop solar array in the country.

Phase 1 of the $5.03 million project will see 5,754 solar panels installed across 193,735.5 square feet above Halls D through H.

“The City of Edmonton is committed to becoming an energy sustainable and climate resilient city,” said program manager Brad Watson. “This rooftop solar panel array will generate at least 2.8 gigawatts of energy annually, equal to that of about 375 homes.”

Based on the design energy models the array is anticipated to yield operational savings in the realm of $290,000 to $460,000 per year.

“Our new rooftop solar installation means that we will be producing our own renewable, clean solar energy right here on top of our building,” said Melissa Radu, Director, Social & Environmental Sustainability with Explore Edmonton. “It also acts as a reminder, to Edmontonians and visitors to our city, that Edmonton is a leader for innovative energy technologies in our country and that we are working hard to support a transition to a lower-carbon economy.”

While other buildings around the City of Edmonton have solar arrays or are having arrays built, the Edmonton EXPO Centre presented a unique opportunity to create one of this size.

“The Edmonton EXPO Centre is a unicorn of sorts when it comes to rooftop solar panels,” said Watson. “Its size and dimensions, unobstructed sightlines and lack of interfering rooftop infrastructure allowed us to build an array of this size.”

The solar system is expected to have a lifespan of at least 25 years and will yield a payback between 10-17 years, considering energy prices and whether energy consumption aligns with generation.

If approved, Phase 2 will see additional panels installed across Halls A through C, increasing the footprint of this project as well as significant cost savings. Phase 2 will add a production of approximately 1.9 gigawatts to the system and the estimated cost is roughly $3.4 million. Phase 2 would add an additional saving of about $185,000 to $300,000 per year.

Phase 1 is expected to be complete in November.

This project is one of 11 solar projects currently underway in Edmonton, helping the City achieve its goal of increasing energy efficiencies. There are currently six City solar arrays in operation.

This solar installation is part of a $98 million rehabilitation project at the Edmonton EXPO Centre. On top of the solar project, visitors will see improvements to seating in Hall D and updates to Entrance 6 on the north side of the building. Improvements are also being made to the building envelope, and mechanical and electrical systems, including major equipment replacements in the mechanical and electrical rooms. The Edmonton EXPO Centre will remain open during work.​
For more information:
Edmonton Expo Centre Rehabilitation

Media contact:
Michael Steger
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-220-4458​

Makes the most sense given the challenges and costs to repurpose this ol' gal, but I will miss the many, many, many memories.

Mandel told CTV News Edmonton Tuesday that he still thinks the Coliseum is worth saving but "it seems no one else at the city agrees."

Not trying to read into anything here but kind of an interesting quote.

Will miss her as well! So many memories as well… like watching the Oil get spanked 4-0 by the Kings on my 18th birthday 😂

My first game in 87' with my Wayne Gretzky doll, the cup run in 1990, Carnival of Champions, the dark days of 6500 people showing up in 92-93, Smashing Pumpkins, Boys2Men, Our Lady Peace, FooFighters, Oasis, Dashboard Confessional, The Hip x 2.3.4?, the 06' run, a night in the Katz box for the Leafs, the 1984 reunion where I finally got Kurri to sign my jersey!

Reactions: God
My first-ever concert was at Northlands - I saw Motley Crue in 1985 or so. The marijuana smoke was thicker than what you'd find inside a bingo parlor, there were plenty of groupies wearing almost next to nothing, and I was half-deaf the next day. Good times! The next year I went with a group of friends to see ZZ Top - the opening act was The Headpins featuring Darby Mills and her leather jockstrap.

I also went to a few Oilers games. I was at a game in the late 90s with a couple of buddies, and seeing Mark Messier in a Canucks jersey was something I can never wash out of my mind! In the early 2000s I went with a girlfriend for a couple of games - no kiss-cams for me, thankfully!

After that, I didn't bother with any more games or concerts until Rogers Place opened in 2016.

Last edited:

Back