Exhibition Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I feel this is a moment that calls for a bit of chutzpah. Our mayor needs to just send the bill to Danielle and ensure there is press to cover it, like when a giant cheque is presented.

At our luncheon last week, the Premier spoke about moving away from 'Resort Municipality Status' for Jasper,Banff,Canmore (for additional infra $) and shared that she wants to create a new infrastructure formula so that key investments are made across Alberta to help support growth and other strategic initiatives.

At our luncheon last week, the Premier spoke about moving away from 'Resort Municipality Status' for Jasper,Banff,Canmore (for additional infra $) and shared that she wants to create a new infrastructure formula so that key investments are made across Alberta to help support growth and other strategic initiatives.
What does this mean exactly? Is it a good thing?

I'm not sure what this means, but about the across Alberta part a past complaint of Edmonton and northern Alberta is they don't get a lot of tourism development/promotion money.

It's easier to believe in a $2 bill than in Danielle's Smith's promises, especially those which would involve any kind of benefits for Edmonton.

What I took from it was that they are not going to provide 'special status' to any municipalities, but will help support their tourism goals by redistributing infrastructure dollars.

What I took from it was that they are not going to provide 'special status' to any municipalities, but will help support their tourism goals by redistributing infrastructure dollars.
if what you took from it was accurate, i would certainly have to question the advisability of diverting much needed infrastructure dollars - particularly those dollars allocated to municipalities who are already under water, no pun intended - to tourism.

As in infrastructure dollars to support areas where they want to grow tourism.

But I get your point. Peter to pay Paul

This appears to be moving forward. On Jan. 17th, the Executive Committee will be asked to approve the sale of the first two parcels of land to a private developer. The parcels are both in the southwest corner of the property closest to Stadium Station. The land is expected to transfer in 2025.
Phase One land use is designated as Ground-Oriented Residential in the Edmonton Exhibition Lands Planning Framework, which allows for a diverse mix of residential uses, including mid to low rise apartments, row houses, stacked row houses, and some compact semi-detached, duplex, and single detached housing. Small-scale neighbourhood commercial uses are also permitted. The proponent intends for all residential residences constructed in Phase One to be built to a Net Zero Ready standard, with the ability to transition to Net Zero operational.
Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 10.01.56 PM.png

Sold sold.

'Following an exhaustive Canada-wide sales and marketing program led by Avison Young, City administration selected a partner to deliver the first phase of residentially-focused neighbourhood development, with City-led roadway, utility and public realm construction scheduled to begin this upcoming summer.'

Here's hoping there will be a bunch of townhouses for families who want to move back into the area.

Back