Emerald Tower | 153.61m | 45s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
That duck has better site management than Regency

Is something (For sale?) going on with this site? As far as I could see all signs for Regency have been removed and only Pangotta (Construction company, not developer) remain on the fence.

And the lake has dried up, so Daffy and Donald had to find a new home...

Is something (For sale?) going on with this site? As far as I could see all signs for Regency have been removed and only Pangotta (Construction company, not developer) remain on the fence.

And the lake has dried up, so Daffy and Donald had to find a new home...

They're signs have been removed for quite some time now, nothing new. I'd like to think that even Regency is too embarrassed to have their name on this site, but in reality they're probably just too cheap to put up proper signage

What do you think of this?

Raj of Regency contacted Oliver Community League and provided a response to concerns about the Emerald site.

Raj said,

"While I understand the frustrations that community members have, Regency is in a tough position based on discussions that have been on-going with Provincial departments.

Many may not be aware, but the current condition of the site is entirely a result of activities to "clean up" decades old contamination of various types - long before we owned this site. This scope was completed under the supervision of the excellent consultants and engineers who then generated reports to submit to the Province for review and final approvals.

This Provincial review process has now surpassed 16months and we have only been able to have sporadic discussions with officials. In hiring top notch consultants and engineers we feel pretty confident in current results and hope the Province will agree before the end of 2021.
The timelines have been completely out of our control.

The tough situation lies in the fact that if we backfill, it's possible we will be told to "do more". So we remain in limbo and a holding pattern which the City is aware of as well. We cannot look at next steps of development until this matter is resolved."

Raj of Regency contacted Oliver Community League and provided a response to concerns about the Emerald site.

Raj said,

"While I understand the frustrations that community members have, Regency is in a tough position based on discussions that have been on-going with Provincial departments.

Many may not be aware, but the current condition of the site is entirely a result of activities to "clean up" decades old contamination of various types - long before we owned this site. This scope was completed under the supervision of the excellent consultants and engineers who then generated reports to submit to the Province for review and final approvals.

This Provincial review process has now surpassed 16months and we have only been able to have sporadic discussions with officials. In hiring top notch consultants and engineers we feel pretty confident in current results and hope the Province will agree before the end of 2021.

The tough situation lies in the fact that if we backfill, it's possible we will be told to "do more". So we remain in limbo and a holding pattern which the City is aware of as well. We cannot look at next steps of development until this matter is resolved."
Well they certainly arent hiring top notch architects or designers (see 121 West), and they arent hiring top notch refuse bins to collect their BMO site rubble, and they arent hiring top notch weed trimmers for this site so colour Raj boy who cried wolf cause I'm skeptical of his "whoa is us" schtick. I suppose its the province's fault too that the BMO site was never properly cleaned up.

Raj, trim the site's weeds on a regular basis, make sure fencing isnt knocked over or better yet put up nice fencing that members of the Oliver community could decorate, provide regular updates and dialogue with the Oliver community league. I can go on about potential solutions but come on you run a multi-million dollar development corporation, think of these things on your own.

Raj said,

He worded it funny, but I imagine significant contamination was found on the site requiring phase 3 ESA. After remediation, they may be monitoring future contamination by taking samples at regular intervals (likely 2019 and 2020 based on when the remediation occurred in late 2018) to see how effective said remediation is. Hard to say if the province is the bottleneck, but they could be given remediation would have to be to their satisfaction.

If they couldn't start construction ahead of the pandemic because of the remediation work, their financing may have fell through in 2020. I imagine @kcantor or @cmd uw could provide further context into the environmental concerns and typical timelines.

All that said, they could easily put up better hoarding that blocks view of the site instead of a chain link fence.

He worded it funny, but I imagine significant contamination was found on the site requiring phase 3 ESA. After remediation, they may be monitoring future contamination by taking samples at regular intervals (likely 2019 and 2020 based on when the remediation occurred in late 2018) to see how effective said remediation is. Hard to say if the province is the bottleneck, but they could be given remediation would have to be to their satisfaction.

If they couldn't start construction ahead of the pandemic because of the remediation work, their financing may have fell through in 2020. I imagine @kcantor or @cmd uw could provide further context into the environmental concerns and typical timelines.

All that said, they could easily put up better hoarding that blocks view of the site instead of a chain link fence.
But why spend money on a site they aren't interested in anymore, oops I mean they have temporarily paused on.

Back