Edmonton Convention Centre Atrium Modernization | ?m | ?s | ECC | DIALOG

I like this trend. In earlier days solar cells seemed to be a no-go-advantage in Edmonton because there was no way to store energy created and long dark winter hours precluded usefulness through much of the year. But this has happened recently: 1. Battery technology is about to take a great leap forward so that energy reaped in the summer can now be stored for use during non-peak solar times (particularly in the winter), and 2. the efficiency of new solar cells has shot up from 22.5% to 39%, almost doubling potential power generation. Oil and Coal industry mavens, instead of running out of the Province like scared children, should be looking to transition to solar and wind, both of which have significant signatures in Alberta. Good for the City for recognizing this new advantage. And, additionally, the remainder oil industry should be looking to develop end-use products from refined crude to sell something more functional than primordial goo.

I think it looks great (from afar), and I hope that this installation sparks more city assets to follow their lead ?
Connors & Muttard Tuesday afternoon 2020-06-02 256.JPG

Quarters and Downtown 2020-06-03 294.JPG

Quarters and Downtown 2020-06-03 301.JPG

I guess it is supposed to be morse code, not braille. The average person will never know and think it looks unfinished. This idea is as dumb as the "dream" sign facing Jasper Ave. is, perhaps even more so given they are using a language that 90% of the population has no clue about. Fill it in generate a little more power, or sell the spot to advertisers.

I know there are plans to replace the canopy on the north, but why does that require the removal of trees on the west? The solar roof replacement required the entire building to be surrounded by scaffolding, yet the trees escaped harm. Seems like there might be something more going on, but I can't find any info.

Reference ID:Job No 434659380-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations to an Exhibition and Convention Facility (Edmonton Convention Centre, exterior exit stairs for emergency egress only).
Plan 8222789 Lot A
Applicant:DIALOG
Create Date:5/25/2022 11:39:20 AM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Back