Douglas Manor Addition | 23m | 6s | ROIS Investments | David Murray

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@Kaizen -- I believe we are witnessing a little sloppy journalism -- I suspect that there will be a total of 57 units in both the existing structure and the new addition combined together, making each unit much larger than 200 sq. ft. (still small)

No updates thus far, but here's some pictures of the site as it is now:
IMG_20210121_183344_196.jpg

IMG_20210121_183854_151.jpg

IMG_20210121_183628_787.jpg

IMG_20210121_183746_683 (1).jpg

I don't see the design and material choice for the expansion as complimentary to the original brick building ... at least based on the original rendering.

Feb 15 EDC Meeting Minutes:

Douglas Manor (Formal, DP) Aziz Bootwala- Kasian MOTION: A. Benoit Motion of support.

While the Committee supports this proposal, the Committee encourages the Applicant to continue working with Administration on the following:

● The design of the new building should be simplified materially and compositionally to allow it to be visually subservient to the historic building.
● The design approach should be clarified with respect to the relationship between the historic building and the new addition. The Committee feels the inclusion of a single brick facade is not a recommended approach to highlight the significance of the existing building. The practical challenges in finding appropriate building materials and details to match the existing building may produce a result that will not enhance the existing building. The Committee recommends an approach that better highlights the handsome qualities of the existing building and allows the new development to stand on its own.
● The ramp located along 108 street should be reconsidered to better integrate with the proposed amenity space. The barrier-free ramp should integrate with the interface between the main entry, amenity space, and street; and pedestrian/resident circulation and movement
● Further refinement should be made to the selection of site furniture (e.g, benches, picnic table, bicycle racks, etc.) and features (e.g., louvered walls, pavers, pergola, lighting, etc.) to better complement and integrate with the historic significance of the building.

Motion Carried (6 for, 4 against).

Back