Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

community-hub-1-5782810-1644968343697.jpg
rendering-for-wellness-community-1-5782819-1644968554613.jpg
rendering-for-community-health-hub-1-5782811-1644968414707.jpg

This article has more details

I am so excited for this project. For starters, phase two will include around 300 units of housing for people "of all ages and backgrounds". And even more importantly, they're right about us needing to shift our healthcare emphasis away from hospitals. Our hospitals suffer a great deal from our society's fetishization of them. If politicians want to gain votes, they build a new hospital. If we want to improve our healthcare system, we build or expand hospitals. But a lot of stuff can be taken care of before someone ever steps foot in one. We need more primary health clinics (we just have one or two in Alberta I believe), which can have some hospital-like services like XRays and lab testing (or even surgeries like what Covenant plans), but without draining as many resources from our system.

It's like public transit: Buses aren't as sexy as LRTs, but we can't build an entire transit system with LRTs alone. And doctors offices are like the small on-demand buses. Right now, we have the healthcare equivalent of a transit service where people can choose from small buses or resource-intense LRTs; there are few options in between. Hopefully more facilities like this follow suit, because they could very well become a core part of our healthcare system if we allow them to (and as long as they remain part of the public healthcare system... I'm looking at you Jason).

"Bird Construction Inc. (TSX: BDT) has been awarded a contract for construction of the Covenant Wellness Community - Community Health Centre in Edmonton, Alberta. The award is valued at approximately $95 million."

Back