News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Corporate Development & Attraction

Costly natural gas power plant proposed for Industrial Heartland - unsure if this is economic compared to solar+batteries.

Power grids need varying types of power generation to supply consistent, reliable power. Solar isn't always a great baseload generator nor a peaker. This is also the same company (Kineticor) that just recently built that massive Cascade power plant out by Edson so they're no fly by night operation.

From their website:
"The Greenlight Electricity Centre is a 1,400 megawatt (MW) development strategically locatedin Alberta’s Industrial Heartland, northeast of Edmonton. The Project will integrate carbon capture and storage with the combined cycle power generation facility to capture over 90% of carbon emissions from the generation of electricity."

Attended a discussion yesterday hosted by the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce with the Minister of Innovation and Industry, François-Philippe Champagne.

He spoke to challenges Canada has as a whole at attracting investment and how the world is becoming more competitive. He mentioned that a few recent investments in Canada including the Air Products facility in Edmonton all started with a cold call and he preached that bringing Canada to investors needs to happen a whole lot more.

In the spirit of competing for investment, the question was asked that as an outsider from Edmonton what does the Edmonton business community need to do to attract more investment, jobs, and companies to the region especially given that Calgary continues to attract significant attention. His response was quite direct in that when businesses outside of Alberta think of Alberta they think of Calgary first because Calgary gets out, cold calls, has a presence, and goes to investors or companies and Edmonton just does not do that nearly enough. From his perspective, Edmonton needs to have a lot more of a presence bringing Edmonton to the world and not just quietly assuming that people know Edmonton for the U of A, AI, energy.

I was glad that an outsider of Edmonton shared this perspective because it truly highlights an unbiased perspective of Edmonton's blind spot and what some have shared on this forum. Edmonton needs to do a lot more and be better at getting in front of $$$ and decision makers.

Last edited:
Attended a discussion yesterday hosted by the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce with the Minister of Minister of Innovation and Industry, François-Philippe Champagne.

He spoke to challenges Canada has as a whole at attracting investment and how the world is becoming more competitive. He mentioned that a few recent investments in Canada including the Air Products facility in Edmonton all started with a cold call and he preached that bringing Canada to investors needs to happen a whole lot more.

In the spirit of competing for investment, the question was asked that as an outsider from Edmonton what does the Edmonton business community need to do to attract more investment, jobs, and companies to the region especially given that Calgary continues to attract significant attention. His response was quite direct in that when businesses outside of Alberta think of Alberta they think of Calgary first because Calgary gets out, cold calls, has a presence, and goes to investors or companies and Edmonton just does not do that nearly enough. From his perspective, Edmonton needs to have a lot more of a presence bringing Edmonton to the world and not just quietly assuming that people know Edmonton for the U of A, AI, energy.

I was glad that an outsider of Edmonton shared this perspective because it truly highlights an unbiased perspective of Edmonton's blind spot and what some have shared on this forum. Edmonton needs to do a lot more and be better at getting in front of $$$ and decision makers.
Yeah, I don't know what it is with our city government AND leaders of our business community. Presumably both comprised of people who have no problem promoting themselves and are somewhat successful, but they sure can't seem to promote Edmonton very well.

It's easy to blame others, but let's flip the script. What are you doing to promote Edmonton? Do you talk up the city and its opportunities or do you complain and diminish its accomplishments?

Edmontonians are their own worst enemies, but only because they seem trained to think the grass is always greener somewhere else. Frankly, the city and its residents should talk up Edmonton more.

It's easy to blame others, but let's flip the script. What are you doing to promote Edmonton? Do you talk up the city and its opportunities or do you complain and diminish its accomplishments?

Edmontonians are their own worst enemies, but only because they seem trained to think the grass is always greener somewhere else. Frankly, the city and its residents should talk up Edmonton more.
Yes, I agree we all need to do our part, but I am not the mayor, I don't run a billion dollar corporation. These are the people that have the power and resources to do a lot more and it frustrates me so much they aren't.

Yes, I agree we all need to do our part, but I am not the mayor, I don't run a billion dollar corporation. These are the people that have the power and resources to do a lot more and it frustrates me so much they aren't.
Agreed, I like to also do my part which I don't need to share with some anon on a forum about what my contributions to the business community are; however, as a tax payer we pay for a chief branding officer aka mayor to do exactly that and as an elected official he is completely open to being publicly evaluated for the (lack of) attention he has spent on that file.

Many "volunteers" spend more time pumping up the business community success than the those paid/in power to do just that.

Yes, if only the mayor could get out of the way of Edmonton's greatness.

No wonder Calgary eats our lunch.

I think I speak for most of the people on this forum when I say that, at least from the people here, we all are very outspoken in our love for Edmonton.

I've actually picked up fights with people over them berating the city, or spewing the very narrow-minded lies and stereotypes that fly around, especially out east.

Had a good chat with someone in the tech world last night and asked about how things are these days in Edmonton, Calgary and the province. He shared a pretty staggering stat that would be interesting to follow up on.

Of the $750,000,000.00 raised in VC the last year within the province, over $700,000,000.00+ of it is destined for Calgary's tech sector.

It's not my world, so take it for what it's worth, but the comments associated with the one above also had very specific questions around local tech leadership and very little attention of Edmonton by major players. He specifically mentioned that 'the slide' continues and that 'this market continues to make the same mistakes with the same circle of people being shuffled around to positions of leadership leading to continued mistrust and erosion'; that we are losing a lot of very talented people.

This is supported by an older figure/report.

'The report noted that Calgary ranked fourth among Canadian cities last year with 64 deals that attracted $647 million in investment. Edmonton, in seventh spot nationally, notched 18 deals and $58 million.'

Last edited:
Calgary has it good because they not only have the provincial government on their side doing everything and anything to make Calgary a centre of power and economy, but they have civic leaders who go above and beyond to promote the city. Our civic leaders don't do jack shit in comparison and it's incredibly frustrating.

Back