Coronation Community Recreation Centre | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, plus the risk of injuring others with a fall or crash. These bikes don't have breaks on them either which takes some getting used to, or at least didn't when I rode at the velodrome some 25 years ago.
Still don't have breaks but don't forget Tri geeks are using this track as well so there should be suitable bikes for them.

This project broke ground less than 2 years ago, so the amount of progress feels insane but awesome to see!

IMG_7447.jpeg
IMG_7448.jpeg
IMG_7449.jpeg
IMG_7450.jpeg
IMG_7451.jpeg

From just observing people's pictures, this one seems to be going really well from the construction side.

And I think once it is done it is going to be a cool amenity.

But I just can't stop feeling like this was the wrong funding priority at the wrong time. I think it is a nice-to-have, at a moment in time where there are too many need-to-have's, and not enough budget to support them. I just don't see a lot of redevelopment and increased property tax revenue being created specifically by this project.

From just observing people's pictures, this one seems to be going really well from the construction side.

But I just can't stop feeling like this was the wrong funding priority at the wrong time. I think it is a nice-to-have, at a moment in time where there are too many need-to-have's, and not enough budget to support them. I just don't see a lot of redevelopment and increased property tax revenue being created specifically by this project.
Most of the "need to haves" are responsibilities of other levels of gov't - housing, healthcare, transit infrastructure. If you waited until those issues were solved, nothing would ever be built.

Shows how much has changed just since fall '21 when this was approved. Zero chance it would have been approved subsequently.

Wait till this opens and Gunter drops an opinion piece about how the City wasted $160m for cyclists to go around in circles, and how this is all part of the grand war-against-cars (aka greatest conflict of his lifetime).

Staples will be against it as well since its money not spent on Hockey or Football. This was long term planning and fundraising from various levels. As well as 2 sports getting together to help develop it.

Clark Builders
Clark Builders
https://www.linkedin.com/company/clark-builders_2/?miniCompanyUrn=urn:li:fs_miniCompany:1000671

Construction at the Coronation Park Sports and Recreation Centre continues to progress as we kick off 2024. The building is now significantly enclosed with the main superstructure complete, including major structural steel elements and concrete walls, columns and retaining walls. The roofing is nearly done, and only about 25% of the cladding remains. The exterior glazing enclosing the building has been installed, allowing us to start on interior finishes. We will soon be surveying and laying out the Social Stair area, an interactive space for kids to slide down slides and climb up ropes.

On Level 1, framing is wrapping up, and the rough-in of mechanical & electrical systems is ongoing. Drywall installation will be starting shortly. High above on Level 2, the plaster ceiling framing and drywall are well underway.

The linking corridor providing access to the Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre is also underway. The walls and slab of the link have been poured, and the roof is being formed as we prepare to pour concrete. Once completed, this corridor will be accessed by the front entrance of the Coronation Park Sports and Recreation Centre.

I definitely thought those giant white panels were the final roof treatment lol. I’m glad I kept my disappointment to myself now that I see there is small squares going up similar to the rendering. This could turn out very very very nice.
I was coming to this thread to ask about that.
The white wouldn't have been the worst thing considering it would match the TWOSE, but the copper coloured roof should look very sharp.

Back