Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Those chairs and tables look like bargain bin shopping. Clearly they don't want anyone to be comfortable and enjoy themselves. Why bother putting anything out there? This little construction project must be cost plus plus plus - its taking for freaken ever.
Why spend much on something that will be stolen or vandalized. Downtown is in desperate need of more law enforcement. You can have all the green space and destination frontages in the world, but people aren't going to go hangout for the evening where they don't feel safe walking down the street at night.

Last edited:
Why spend much on something that will be stolen or vandalized. Downtown is in desperate need of more law enforcement. You can have all the green space and destination frontages in the world, but people aren't going to go hangout for the evening where they don't feel safe walking down the street at night.
Don’t think they look bargain bin at all….but the look they’re going for ala Gila River in Glendale. We’re not the desert, we can’t “do” outside deserty things like this. I wish we could but we can’t…in addition, we really don’t know how to treat nice things. Pretty sure they’ll be vandalized, stolen or just the sh*t kicked out of them. Or even walking in Old Town Scottsdale….Gawd I miss walking the streets, the patio, happy hour lifestyle there is so dam attractive! Go bar hopping, tequila shot here, ice cold Cerveza there….fresh guacamole…sorry I digress

Last edited:
These were taken at around 6:30 PM yesterday. The live music was already done, so I'm not sure what the crowd was like before it ended.
20210724_182919.jpg
20210724_183004.jpg20210724_183006.jpg20210724_183012.jpg20210724_183033.jpg20210724_183052.jpg20210724_183149.jpg20210724_183202.jpg

Slowly coming together, but it needs that grocery to keep people coming and going along with another destination spot that cannot be had elsewhere.
I think it needs several destination spots that cannot be had elsewhere. Canadian Brewhouse is not one of them nor is another bar or restaurant. I think what ever draw tenant it is - has to generate traffic during the day and evening to be profitable. Thinking outside the box it could be: an Ikea like the one in downtown Toronto (https://retail-insider.com/retail-i...-urban-format-concept-store-downtown-toronto/) "The Ikea small-format stores include three concepts that range in size from slightly more than 5,000 square feet to more than 50,000 square feet. A store in Manhattan, which spans about 5,400 square feet, focuses primarily on services.". Or an Amazon Books Store. Perhaps an urban hardware store like this (https://www.inc.com/tom-foster/the-whole-foods-of-home-improvement.html). What ever goes in needs a stream of traffic to compliment the other retail in Ice District.

Part of my issue with it at this point is that it is trying to be everything to everyone and not doing it for a single person.

Does it want to serve its residents or hotel guests? Downtown workers? Tourists? Game-goers? or be an actual 'entertainment district'?

Trees are a start I guess.

"So far, the plaza has 14 trees but the plan is to put in six more when the project is completed. The perimeter — from 103 Avenue to 104 Avenue — will have an additional 26 trees. In total, the project will have 46 trees."

A larger variety of plants would be nice though, I agree that planters would spruce things up even more.
The project has a total 46 trees planned, until local Idylwylde residents start complaining and citing safety/visibility issues.

Last edited:
What's with the giant ICE DISTRICT sign? Like, are we going to forget where we are if we don't smack into it while walking and looking at our smartphone?
Hello, I’m not exactly knew here ive been reading the forums for months and closer to a year. The sign is meant to be a trendy spot to take pictures and post on your Instagram. This is something the city really needs. Similar to the Toronto sign in Toronto. Taking pictures and posting it will hopefully get people to ask where that location is and it’ll get talked about more in and out of the city. That’s the goal at least. It all depends on how aesthetically pleasing the plaza is once it’s finished. I think they’re doing a pretty good job so far IMO. Hope I was helpful.

Hello, I’m not exactly knew here ive been reading the forums for months and closer to a year. The sign is meant to be a trendy spot to take pictures and post on your Instagram. This is something the city really needs. Similar to the Toronto sign in Toronto. Taking pictures and posting it will hopefully get people to ask where that location is and it’ll get talked about more in and out of the city. That’s the goal at least. It all depends on how aesthetically pleasing the plaza is once it’s finished. I think they’re doing a pretty good job so far IMO. Hope I was helpful.
It does help, thanks :)
I mostly lurk as well, but welcome just the same!!

Welcome to the forum!! Check out the "Introduce Yourself" section under the general section and make a post there if you feel like it!

Back