Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Keep in mind that with the Brewhouse it will include their take on a rec room.

I'd love to see a sneaker store there or something like a Adidas standalone, but the fact is that it has very low pedestrian traffic and density nearby to support thing right now.
Some of the reasons for the current low pedestrian traffic in the area are that it has been a construction site for a number of years and COVID has shut down all large events at Rogers for over the last year.

Neither of those are permanent conditions or likely to continue long in the future. A sneaker store would be a great idea.

Downtown has swung from having too much retail to too little over the last decade. More people with disposable income are living nearby, but are having to trek to to places like south Edmonton Common to go to an Adidas store.

Its not that people living downtown particularly love long drives, they just have few other options currently and when Rogers is back up and running there will be much more pedestrian traffic.

I find the whole of 103 ave between 102 and 104 st completely sterile. I don't think they've done enough to activate the street front. Maybe the grocery store will help.
Proposed La Riena Tower DC1 (Horne and Pitfield) has two CRUs facing south on 103 Avenue with 2.5m extra sidewalks/streetscaping.

Wasn't there supposed to be a whole food court in Stantec too? What happened to that? COVID causality?

Originally they were close to finalizing Lululemon for Stantec as well and unfortunately that didn't happen.

The Helm is moving into Encore Tower - how are they able to operate in this same neighbourhood with low pedestrian traffic but a sneaker store can't?

Manager, Plaza Programming & Production - Oilers Entertainment Group (Edmonton · AB)​

Just saw a memo:

Please be advised that every Saturday in the ICE District Plaza this summer, beginning at 5:00 pm, there will be live entertainment, food, and ice-cold beverages. Attendance is free.
  •  Live Music
  •  Food Trucks & Ice-Cold Beverages
  •  Patio seating with umbrellas on the future ICE District Plaza ice rink surface and perimeter
  •  All ages welcome
  •  This will be a licensed event
Enjoy your Saturday afternoon with live music, singer/songwriter Dana Wylie
(https://www.danawylie.net/)

Dana Wylie has carved a uniquely wandering path through music; she cut her teeth in jug bands, bluegrass bands and cover bands in Taiwan, toured steadfastly with her own band in the UK, released three critically praised albums, then landed back in Canada to pursue a Masters in musicology. Colin Linden calls her "a bright light from the great west," and her latest album, The Earth That You're Made Of, earned her a Canadian Folk Music Award nomination for Contemporary Singer of the Year; journalist, broadcaster, and festival director Peter North called it "one of the finest contemporary roots recordings to have ever been produced in Alberta, period."

https://icedistrict.com/events/ - "ICE JAM CONCERT SERIES"

Great to see more events happening after the cancellation of some other prominent events in the City.

There’s literally nothing that draws me to ice district short of an Oilers game when I’m visiting downtown. They need more things happening in the courtyard and better visibility of businesses happening inside the podiums of the new buildings. I came back to Edmonton last week and had a look at that place and honestly it felt like everything was closed and all businesses didn’t want to be found.

There’s literally nothing that draws me to ice district short of an Oilers game when I’m visiting downtown. They need more things happening in the courtyard and better visibility of businesses happening inside the podiums of the new buildings. I came back to Edmonton last week and had a look at that place and honestly it felt like everything was closed and all businesses didn’t want to be found.

Well ice district is still a large construction zone. I don't think too many smaller businesses would want to be setting up shop there right now. And the courtyard and restaurants in the area weren't even open that long before covid hit. And now some events are starting to be planned- even though construction still happening. I think a year from now it will look and feel different and 3 years, very different.... I hope.

It certainly doesn't help that here's a virtually empty north end of city cdntre mall neighbouring ice district. There's decent traffic in the restaurants along 103 street though - I often see people on the patios of those establishments as I ride my bike past.

Looks like the tower will be started no time soon, as their closing in the elevator shaft.
9C18FDF4-70E8-438E-B1A5-22C5E4C360A5.jpeg

Well ice district is still a large construction zone. I don't think too many smaller businesses would want to be setting up shop there right now. And the courtyard and restaurants in the area weren't even open that long before covid hit. And now some events are starting to be planned- even though construction still happening. I think a year from now it will look and feel different and 3 years, very different.... I hope.

It certainly doesn't help that here's a virtually empty north end of city cdntre mall neighbouring ice district. There's decent traffic in the restaurants along 103 street though - I often see people on the patios of those establishments as I ride my bike past.
I am optimistic too for the future. Unfortunately, both the courtyard here and Churchill Square have not been that usable for a several years because of construction and of course the restrictions due to COVID.

Construction on both is coming to an end. I think best case scenario, be could see both hosting events at the same time and that generating some traffic between them as well as activating the areas nearby.

I think if City Centre could get a tenant in the Bay space that would help the area some too, but this could also be the time to redevelop that space for something that fits in better with the area.

Back