Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Of course. Moved in at the end of August so it hasnt even been a month yet, but wife and I really love it. We ended up renting a unit that is approx 630 square feet. It's the perfect size for us.
Nice stove/oven fridge works, Haha. The freezer part is a tad tiny. Floors, cabinets all well constructed as far as I am concerned.
There was a lot off downsizing for us coming from a house, however it was so nice to get rid of stuff. Our unit doesn't have a balcony which is ok. I really wanted a balcony but I compromised and honestly it will be winter soon and the balcony will be useless. We do have access to a 30th floor wrap around public deck area which is beautiful . Now it is shut down for the moment as they check all the glass in the building. I am not sure if you heard a while back some panes of glass broke out, so they are double checking everything. Hopefully that area opens up soon.

The amenities are amazing on the 30th floor. Great gym, great common areas, a golf simulator (which is a big reason I wanted the place haha)

Parking is great, easy access in and out. For 6 months 1 stall is free of charge. otherwise it is about 195 per stall.

Love the pedway system over to the JW and downtown city center. Apparently the Loblaws is a 2022 opening at some point with a pedway over. You don't even have to step foot outside.

Building seems well constructed. Never hear anything from the neighbors when I am in my suite.

Not really any "cons" I have right now, I am sure in time a few will pop up, but for now we couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps.
Amazing. Glad it's been such a good experience. My wife and I moved into the hendrix when we first got married and were still in university and absolutely loved it. The amenities are so great and make a small unit not as big of deal. I loved that when we had friends over it wasn't just our place (whether a 500sqft unit or 2000sqft), but we had the movie theater, party room, rooftop patio, Cafe and board game area. You'll never have that in a house, so the common spaces in New condos and apartments are awesome

Last time I was in town I was absolutely floored how much it had changed since I moved three years ago. Entertainment, lifestyle, and culture, are not the things that stood out. I watched a man overdose on Jasper ave, felt at risk walking around at night, garbage everywhere, and an unprecedented level of visible homelessness and drug addiction.

The city needs to do far, far more, then just pretend it’s improving by throwing weekly festivals and farmers markets. There are systemic problems in downtown that I do not think have ever been properly addressed, or even questioned.

Maybe attempting to bring in new forms of business that service the north side isn’t a bad idea. Lord knows there’s a few large vacant CRUs lingering around that would work. Like others said, a central ikea would service half the city. Not just the local 12000. And maybe bringing in that tax revenue can go towards initiatives to properly address the more serious issues in the community.
There are really two fundamental problems here - COVID and the Alberta economy. A lot of people still working from home, so who is left, the homeless and the unfortunate. Hardly anyone coming downtown to shop much now and really there is not a lot there.

Fortunately, both problems will eventually (hopefully soon) recede, but we have to start rebuilding downtown. If not our city is at risk at becoming a donut with a big hole in the middle. I do agree entertainment will be what gives it the most boost in the long run, but you need some decent retail both to serve those who live there and draw in some people from nearby. Not every empty CRU can or will become a sports bar.

I think another point that I want to address about downtown retail is the comment that places like IKEA, an urban CdnTire and a No Frills are just a short drive away. IKEA is in south Edmonton Common.
I rarely go there precisely because it is not a short drive away.

A number of people who live downtown either do not drive or live there specifically because they do not want to have to drive everywhere.

There is a very serious shortfall when it comes to retail options downtown in this city. It is a bit of an elephant in the room and it will eventually kill efforts to encourage more people to live downtown if not dealt with.

I think another point that I want to address about downtown retail is the comment that places like IKEA, an urban CdnTire and a No Frills are just a short drive away. IKEA is in south Edmonton Common.
I rarely go there precisely because it is not a short drive away.

A number of people who live downtown either do not drive or live there specifically because they do not want to have to drive everywhere.

There is a very serious shortfall when it comes to retail options downtown in this city. It is a bit of an elephant in the room and it will eventually kill efforts to encourage more people to live downtown if not dealt with.
Exactly!!! I've been trying to make the point that this is not only good, but NEEDED.
Not to mention that it would also serve people on the whole central area, not just downtown. Think Westmount, Inglewood, Alberta Avenue, Olds Strathcona... I dare say that having some of these things just a short walk from an LRT station would probably bring people who are further south, for example, like students who choose to live further away, for cost reasons, etc...

I don't think I've seen any photos from 104 St. yet, in the smoke from yesterday:
20211005_182611.jpg

I don't think I've seen any photos from 104 St. yet, in the smoke from yesterday:
View attachment 353907
WE
NEED
TO
GET
RID
OF
ALL
THESE
PARKING
LOTS!!!!!!!!

I can't put in words how much I hate this surface parking lots. I'd rather have all of them converted to grass and little walkways (and screw parking :mad::mad::mad:)
Love the building, though. Dreaming of the day when they'll start building the tower.

Wasn't that a laydown yard up until maybe 2 years ago anyway?

Keep in mind that Vancouver only really started doing that 30-35 years ago, Toronto 25-30... Montreal 10-15...

Yeah I'd say 30 years behind Vancouver is accurate. Issue is, most of that was spurred by geographical constraints, so every year even while we make progress, we still fall further behind. In 20 years Edmonton will be 40 years behind, at where Vancouver was in 2000.

WE
NEED
TO
GET
RID
OF
ALL
THESE
PARKING
LOTS!!!!!!!!

I can't put in words how much I hate this surface parking lots. I'd rather have all of them converted to grass and little walkways (and screw parking :mad::mad::mad:)
Love the building, though. Dreaming of the day when they'll start building the tower.

I'm sorry but that parking lot needs to stay in place while Affordable Storage is still operating next door. God knows how many times this is required for loading/unloading things. Once Affordable Storage departs ICE District then we can turf that parking lot!

Yeah I'd say 30 years behind Vancouver is accurate. Issue is, most of that was spurred by geographical constraints, so every year even while we make progress, we still fall further behind. In 20 years Edmonton will be 40 years behind, at where Vancouver was in 2000.
Fair comment.

The perfect place for a tower is on the parking lot north of the Affordable Storage building (after the storage business leaves), not in place of it.

Speaking of Vancouver, when I was there several weeks ago, I was impressed by how they are incorporating older buildings into newer developments.

Even though the land there is extremely valuable, they don't just tear them down like the default is here. So another way I suppose we may be 30 years behind the times.

Some of the thinking around development here is still so 1970s.

Back