Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
1596226734927.png

1596227100779.png

9321 - 101A Avenue

Not much other info yet.

Reference ID: Job No 383000571-002
Description: Construction of (a) new building(s)
Plan RN74 Lots 9-10
Applicant: SPAN ARCHITECTURE INC
Create Date: 1/6/2021 2:39:18 PM
Neighbourhood: BOYLE STREET

God damn lazy renderings
it’s not a “god damn lazy rendering” for god’s sake, it’s a perfectly good massing model.

and from my perspective i’d rather see more projects with good massing models get built well than projects with pretty renderings that don’t get built at all or don’t get built the way they’re rendered.

I'd bet money on that being a rendering Ken. These days it is amazing what passes as design.

I like it. Not sure the level of affiliation with the neighbouring housing co-op, but it's a cool little community. Good friend of mine lived there growing up and I spent a lot of time hanging out there.

I'd bet money on that being a rendering Ken. These days it is amazing what passes as design.
not wanting to take your money, let me simply amend my criticism of your post:...

from my perspective i’d rather see more good projects built regardless of the quality of their renderings than projects with pretty renderings that don’t get built at all or don’t get built the way they’re rendered.

renderings depict a design but they do not constitute design. good design does not require a rendering at all to be good design and there is plenty of $h!tty design camouflaged in well done renderings.

and for what it's worth, if you really do want to wager some money on a losing bet, i would bet that most of edmonton''s best and most beloved architecture was designed and built without a single rendering being done - think of everything on the legislature grounds with the exception of some recent interventions, the hotel macdonald, the gibson block, the high level bridge, most of what counts on 104th street, duggan house, glenora school, the hecla block, assiniboine and pembina halls, maclean block, lemarchand mansion, mcgrath mansion, mcleod building, nwmp barracks, norwood school, oliver school, westminster apartments, strathcona post office...

Last edited:
I'd honestly rather have something to give me an idea of how it'll look rather than nothing. I do hope that they'll come out with more detailed renderings once this is closer to being built, though. The grade 10 CAD joke still cracked me up 😆

I'll vouch for Ken -- in my ArchiCAD BIM program there are several different rendering capabilities -- 2 levels of full render (one with sun shadows and one without), two levels as a massing model render engine (also with basic shadows or not -- the above rendering would be the shadow form of that) and a wire diagram rendering engine. These are typical of most 3-d rendering/BIM programs. If I were to toss out an educated guess but one not based on absolute certainty, I would guess this to be SketchUp massing modeler. It used to be and likely still is free... free... free... SketchUp Pro is the expensive version.

It certainly looks like SketchUp... and my point being that it is often being used (poorly) for massing AND rendering purposes.

Elevations/CD are not as sexy, but often better.

Back