Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
958825_70013ca895824540a1de4302165bd758_mv2.jpg
958825_36cf903b92324585b743d494807b86e4_mv2.jpg

The renders are kinda hilarious. You'd think this was being built next to Kingsway Mall or somewhere other than the densest part of downtown.

Like, I'm not even confident of what direction we're viewing the proposal at in these images.

In any case, I still wish the balconies were inset. That for me would have put this project into the "Like" territory. That and maybe a less awkward transition with the hotel massing.

@Daveography, I get your point about the balconies. A big improvement would be an angular build-out on either side of each balcony that frames in the balcony and it would be in keeping with the angular lines in the building itself, increasing the square footage of units by about 25 sq.ft. (almost 2 1/2 sq. metres. It would make a substantial difference to the building's architecture without adding significant cost (in fact cost +/- might be a wash).

The renders are kinda hilarious. You'd think this was being built next to Kingsway Mall or somewhere other than the densest part of downtown.

Like, I'm not even confident of what direction we're viewing the proposal at in these images.

In any case, I still wish the balconies were inset. That for me would have put this project into the "Like" territory. That and maybe a less awkward transition with the hotel massing.

We have lots of outsetting balconies on towers out west in Burnaby. One impact they have is to create a sense of presence and size. This will be shorter than the JW Marriott but will feel far more imposing.

I really hope Regency gets this one off the ground. They are not instilling a lot of confidence in me lately though,
I mean, they are building a massive site at Holyrood right now. Phase One of that project is massive in itself, so they are investing money into Edmonton and quite a bit of it. Sure, they may have demoed some sites early, but they likely had their reasons at the time. No idea what their cash flow looks like for multiple projects at once though. I don't think they are going under or anything - the development process takes a long time in Edmonton. Everyone here should be well aware of that. :)

I mean, they are building a massive site at Holyrood right now. Phase One of that project is massive in itself, so they are investing money into Edmonton and quite a bit of it. Sure, they may have demoed some sites early, but they likely had their reasons at the time. No idea what their cash flow looks like for multiple projects at once though. I don't think they are going under or anything - the development process takes a long time in Edmonton. Everyone here should be well aware of that. :)

Fair enough. I forgot that they are doing the Holyrood site.

Guess I'm just a little miffed that some prominent sites are being left untouched right now, The Emerald being one.

Fair enough. I forgot that they are doing the Holyrood site.

Guess I'm just a little miffed that some prominent sites are being left untouched right now, The Emerald being one.

You mentioned The Emerald site which has now triggered me haha.
That site is a complete joke though. Its shameful that we cannot hold developers accountable for leaving sites in that condition. I doubt that site will be developed in the next 5 years, so I guess we're stuck with a swamp right on Jasper Ave until then? What an embarrassment. But that's what Regency does I guess. They've made 10's of millions of dollars developing in this city, and yet they don't give 2 shits about keeping their future development sites tidy.

Last edited:
As I recall they had a very narrow time frame in which to do demolition for the BMO site impacted by the LRT work along 102 Ave. I'm with @.crystalised. there needs to be a better name than "Tower 101" -- let's start a naming competition for the tower which we will then adjudicate by popular vote -- the winner will receive a laser-inscribed lolly-pop. I will then present the name to the developer along with a note suggesting that the balconies be enclosed on either side by vertical rectangular forms. I'll kick things off 🏈 -- Tegler Spire (I'm already guaranteed at least 10th place :cool: with such a cool name).

Back