Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

One of the major partners in the project pulled out, leaving the rest without sufficient financing capability to proceed. There is hope that it can be revived with a new team.

ah understandable thanks for the insight crew. I am not sure why we don't treat our technical colleges like universities with housing as part of the equation. But i do see they have agreements with other institutions to help students find housing, so perhaps that is filling the void for them. Anyway, not a problem for Blatchford as a development specifically but i think we all know some rentals in the area would do quite well so i hope a developer takes up the opportunity :)

i see there is some detail in the master plan for some housing. I also didn't know they were planning such a large expansion footprint up to and along the LRT line, that really will be a great help to the area. I am excited to see their progress in years to come.
https://www.nait.ca/nait/about/our-campuses/campus-development-plan
https://www.nait.ca/nait/about/our-campuses/blatchford-development

NAIT is great.PNG

Last edited:
Took a walk around Blatchford today, and while it's still definitely not out of its "open field" construction feeling phase, there is a small segment of the area that has filled in to the point of feeling somewhat complete. I have to say I'm impressed, it's definitely not living up to the renders, but based on what many in this forum were saying I was predicting an apocalyptic departure from the original vision. This does not feel like your typical Edmonton suburban neighborhood, it feels modern, urban and dense. And while the completed areas are not as dense as we may have hoped, they are still town houses, duplexes, lane-way suites and the like. This area is also pretty far from the main density nodes around the (beautiful) new NAIT/Blatchford Market Station. The Bike lanes and pedestrian realm on the street I believe is called "Alpha" is next level, approaching Dutch-level, with plenty of seating and room for walking and biking. There are full on pedestrian streets, with houses fronting onto them as well. It's going to take a long time for this to reach it's potential but if you go walk around you can start to see the vision emerging.

According to a project manager I talked to who was working on the new NAIT/Blatchford Market station there will be an MUP opening very soon (meaning sometime in the next week or so) which will connect the existing built area up to the LRT stations, which will make getting to transit much easier. I had to take the bus to NAIT and then do a couple bus/LRT transfers to get to it as of now.

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg

Overall I would say having visited the site myself finally, I am more optimistic about its future than I was before. I encourage anyone who is still skeptical or who is very cynical about this project to go and have a look, see all the construction and activity going on, what's been completed, what's about to start construction and try to picture what it will look like as it begins to fill in. I predict in 2-5 years time, Blatchford will reach a "critical mass" where it no longer feels like a construction site and feels more like a real neighborhood that just happens to have a lot of construction happening, then sales and development will take off. The LRT station (which should be opening imminently) will help spur more construction in the southern half and when the completed section and that link up, this will become a true expanse of houses (aka a neighborhood).

Took a walk around Blatchford today, and while it's still definitely not out of its "open field" construction feeling phase, there is a small segment of the area that has filled in to the point of feeling somewhat complete. I have to say I'm impressed, it's definitely not living up to the renders, but based on what many in this forum were saying I was predicting an apocalyptic departure from the original vision. This does not feel like your typical Edmonton suburban neighborhood, it feels modern, urban and dense. And while the completed areas are not as dense as we may have hoped, they are still town houses, duplexes, lane-way suites and the like. This area is also pretty far from the main density nodes around the (beautiful) new NAIT/Blatchford Market Station. The Bike lanes and pedestrian realm on the street I believe is called "Alpha" is next level, approaching Dutch-level, with plenty of seating and room for walking and biking. There are full on pedestrian streets, with houses fronting onto them as well. It's going to take a long time for this to reach it's potential but if you go walk around you can start to see the vision emerging.

According to a project manager I talked to who was working on the new NAIT/Blatchford Market station there will be an MUP opening very soon (meaning sometime in the next week or so) which will connect the existing built area up to the LRT stations, which will make getting to transit much easier. I had to take the bus to NAIT and then do a couple bus/LRT transfers to get to it as of now.

View attachment 531134View attachment 531135View attachment 531136View attachment 531137

Overall I would say having visited the site myself finally, I am more optimistic about its future than I was before. I encourage anyone who is still skeptical or who is very cynical about this project to go and have a look, see all the construction and activity going on, what's been completed, what's about to start construction and try to picture what it will look like as it begins to fill in. I predict in 2-5 years time, Blatchford will reach a "critical mass" where it no longer feels like a construction site and feels more like a real neighborhood that just happens to have a lot of construction happening, then sales and development will take off. The LRT station (which should be opening imminently) will help spur more construction in the southern half and when the completed section and that link up, this will become a true expanse of houses (aka a neighborhood).
I haven't walked around, but you may be right, it may look better close up. I agree it does need a critical mass to start to feel more like a real neighbourhood, which may make it more attractive and give it more momentum. Progress on this has been agonizingly slow, but frankly the real estate market in Edmonton has had very few good years in the last decade which is probably part of the reason. Another is people here seem more focused on and comfortable with suburban SFH developments. The LRT station opening should make it more attractive too.

View attachment 531134View attachment 531135View attachment 531136View attachment 531137

I haven't walked around, but you may be right, it may look better close up. I agree it does need a critical mass to start to feel more like a real neighbourhood, which may make it more attractive and give it more momentum. Progress on this has been agonizingly slow, but frankly the real estate market in Edmonton has had very few good years in the last decade which is probably part of the reason. Another is people here seem more focused on and comfortable with suburban SFH developments. The LRT station opening should make it more attractive too.

There are a few things that are just factually wrong in this article:

- no way the 57 occupied units/200 built numbers are correct. My guess is it is 57 lots occupied (with many having 2-3 units on the lots with garage and basement suites) and 200 with approved development permit but some having not broken ground.
- UDI throws out things like the costs being “fully double” while ignoring the actual facts. You need to make some real apples to oranges comparisons to make that claim.

That said, I think the general thrust of the article is right - 2024 really will be a big year for Blatchford. There’s definitely signs of progress and I’m hoping that’ll pick up this year.

I mean if you go on google earth to their most recent imagery you can count and see that there is at least 55 lots (not including secondary suites) complete or nearly complete as of 05/23, and many more under construction as of this date. Why would they lie about these numbers that you can fact check fairly easily? You shouldn't be calling something "factually wrong" when you also admit you're just guessing. I think it's fair to assume UDI has pretty accurate numbers on this.

1704999884739.png

I mean if you go on google earth to their most recent imagery you can count and see that there is at least 55 lots (not including secondary suites) complete or nearly complete as of 05/23, and many more under construction as of this date. Why would they lie about these numbers that you can fact check fairly easily? You shouldn't be calling something "factually wrong" when you also admit you're just guessing. I think it's fair to assume UDI has pretty accurate numbers on this.

View attachment 532605

I looked at the article again and I see it says "less than 200" and 57 "occupied", so I retract my comment on that front - it may be correct. But it is tough to square with the report that the City got in the fall which referred to 97 townhomes, which were 85%, with 67% containing one or more secondary suite.

In any event, I'd prefer to focus on the "2024 is a decisive year" theme. Having Landmark and Qualico move into the community is big in my mind. Landmark hadn't even broken ground in that May 2023 aerial photo and they already have people moved in, so they can definitely get things going if the demand is there! The LRT station should open anytime now, which should also make a big difference. But what is really needed is for at least one of the 4-6 storey projects to go ahead... Hopefully some Housing Accelerator funding and removal of GST on purpose-built housing can kick that off.

I was on the Blatchford website and noticed they've posted some aerials from the summer. It does look the community is really starting to fill out:

1706044198724.png

1706044241751.png

Last edited:
This should hopefully be the year for Blatchford to fully take off, everything that's been built seems to mostly be selling very well, they just need a block or two more to be built and its going to start feeling like a neighborhood and not a construction site

Back