Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Also I haven't seen it on the socials but from the latest residents newsletter:
Save the date - Saturday, June 25 from 12 - 6 p.m.

We’re excited to be hosting an event to celebrate the community and you, the people who call it home. On Saturday, June 25th, the Blatchford office is holding a public community grand opening event and we hope you can join us for the fun!

We have a lot of activities planned for the day, including live music, yard games, face painting, food trucks and a beer garden hosted by The Growlery.

We look forward to seeing you there!

^
Community Grand Opening - June 25

Join us at our community grand opening block party on Saturday, June 25 from 12-6 pm!

Check out Edmonton’s newest central community that offers the best of urban living with a family-friendly, sustainable lifestyle. Tour the neighbourhood and visit the showhomes. Swing by the food trucks and stay for the live music.

Enter to win a $500 gift certificate to Kingsway Mall and enjoy the beer gardens at our local brewery, The Growerly. Bring the kids (and anyone young at heart) for face painting, yard games and a planting activity presented by our friends from the Muttart.

Learn more about how Blatchford is leading the way for sustainable living and join a guided tour of the neighbourhood and the community energy centre at 1:00, 3:00 and 4:30 pm.

Our homebuilders are also taking part in the fun by offering swag/activities/prizes in their showhomes or at their information tables.

I wonder when I can expect my commission cheque from the city for breaking their stories for them.

Edited to add that it looks like bulk earthworks are happening north of Alpha Boulevard. Hopefully that means the pedestrian connection to the storm pond walking paths get improved.

Last edited:
A motion by Coun. Cartmell passed 13-0 today to have admin report back on a thorough analysis of this project.

Cartmell, along with others, is concerned about the pace of development, the costs the city has incurred so far vs. revenue, and affordability.

He is suggesting he would like the city to continue with what's currently being built but then potentially take a section of land on the north end and get that started where the city isn't neccessarily the developer to get things going while still maintaining neighbourhood standards. He also noted the possibility of reducing lot costs to accelerate pace.

He is hoping, as well as Sohi, that some of the learnings can be used to get things going in Rossdale, the Quarters etc.

A motion by Coun. Cartmell passed 13-0 today to have admin report back on a thorough analysis of this project.

Cartmell, along with others, is concerned about the pace of development, the costs the city has incurred so far vs. revenue, and affordability.

He is suggesting he would like the city to continue with what's currently being built but then potentially take a section of land on the north end and get that started where the city isn't neccessarily the developer to get things going while still maintaining neighbourhood standards. He also noted the possibility of reducing lot costs to accelerate pace.

He is hoping, as well as Sohi, that some of the learnings can be used to get things going in Rossdale, the Quarters etc.
I'm glad to hear that nobody on council is questioning the standards that are in place right now, it makes me a lot less nervous about the report. Also, one of the staffers said that although the development currently only consists of townhouses at the moment, "they have deals for multiresidential buildings that would bring apartments to the community" I hope we hear more soon, I'm looking forward to Blatchford being more financially accessible.

I'm glad to hear that nobody on council is questioning the standards that are in place right now, it makes me a lot less nervous about the report. Also, one of the staffers said that although the development currently only consists of townhouses at the moment, "they have deals for multiresidential buildings that would bring apartments to the community" I hope we hear more soon, I'm looking forward to Blatchford being more financially accessible.

we'll see if these ever get built with interest rates going up.

The city is considering selling Hanger 14 - currently home to the Alberta Aviation Museum - due to very expensive and critical repair work that must be undertaken in the next five years, which the city will be hard-pressed to fund. Their interest in this option went up after seeing how the sale of Hanger 11 went.

Once again, another terrible job of reporting. Author claims “30,000 housing units,” as opposed to the actual 30,000 residents…..big difference. Why can’t the media distinguish the difference between the two? This is not the first time this has happened

Some cool details from the city news release:

"Three new home builder projects are set to be in development in the near future, including a 90-unit rental townhome development, an 82-unit condo building and a 72-unit condo building with main floor retail."

Back