Bateman Lands Mid-Rise | 34m | 8s | Bateman Properties | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I think I just feel bad for Mike, who really wanted a signature development here. I'm sure this will still be pretty good in the end, but it's just sad to see earnest new local developers with vision and ambition being ground down by our unpredictable economy.
Eh, still put a feather in that cap. Being able to quickly pivot with fast moving market forces as required but still produce a quality product is a sign of a good developer, IMO. Better than just abandoning it entirely and letting it sit as an empty field for the better part of a decade waiting on star alignment.

The original design was not feasible from the beginning. As mentioned by IanO, asking for $600+/sq. foot, sponsoring a golf tournament at the Windermere, tearing down the commercial centre prior to sales, building out an expensive sales centre at Ritchie Market, etc. All things that probably weren't necessary for a project that was never going to fetch the price they were asking.

In any event, hopefully this new project gets built and completed.

Last edited:
1932-By-Bateman-Exterior-Resized-for-Website.jpg

We need more medium density building like this in Edmonton. If Halifax can do it, so can Edmonton.

Funny you say that, I was invited to a wedding in Halifax and was just this morning doing a Google maps tour of the venue and their downtown. I was surprised at how dense and nice their new developments are downtown. So as of this morning, I support this statement!

Back