Bateman Lands Mid-Rise | 34m | 8s | Bateman Properties | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Disappointing step down, though understandable.

Hard to assess, but I don't mind this. Much, much better than the new mid-rise near the Brewery district, which is a complete monstrosity.

I also like the size, which I think does more for the community. Better to have 20 mid-rise buildings, than 5-6 huge towers concentrating density in only a few places.

Hard to assess, but I don't mind this. Much, much better than the new mid-rise near the Brewery district, which is a complete monstrosity.

I also like the size, which I think does more for the community. Better to have 20 mid-rise buildings, than 5-6 huge towers concentrating density in only a few places.

Agreed - I will take 50 more of these buildings throughout the inner city please and thanks.

1606921346913.png

Not bad... I think?

I think I just feel bad for Mike, who really wanted a signature development here. I'm sure this will still be pretty good in the end, but it's just sad to see earnest new local developers with vision and ambition being ground down by our unpredictable economy.

Busy road aside (it is part of the Main Street Overlay and there are pushes still ongoing to allow off-peak parking to calm it a bit), there's really nothing wrong with this location. Close to Whyte, close to DT, close to Mill Creek and the River Valley, on major bus routes, grocery store planned for the main floor, between some of the nicest most walkable communities in the city, on top of offering a unique design, good amenities,... plus when it launched there was still some optimism in the economy and the market... I really don't think it was that out to lunch at all.

Sure, but when you completely miss the market in your development planning...

$600+/ft with ok views and a busy street next to you with nothing close in the market unless you are on Sask.dr...

It's apparent that a lot of (significantly more experienced) developers also overestimated the Edmonton market recently - I don't think this has all that much to do with the location.

This is one of those critical issue that city hall administration and council should pondered upon going forward; all levels of governments and entrepreneurs missed their alignments in terms of strategies to fully engulfed in all positively growths. Most highrise developers didn't commenced any form of momentum until the latter half of our recently good time...what a waste of an opportunity especially when a boom firstly commenced. This is the carefree spending energy period people have: big money that has just begun in a positive growth span. What do people do when they come into freshly big piles of money they have never seen before or rarely? The young ones would be nice vehicles, clothes, and expensive accessories; stores can easily remedied their error of judgements through changing future orders. Construction developments can't do that, and they should have been given a five years' of heads up time to prepare; they could have taken advantage with older crowds who wanted condos etc.

Busy road aside (it is part of the Main Street Overlay and there are pushes still ongoing to allow off-peak parking to calm it a bit), there's really nothing wrong with this location. Close to Whyte, close to DT, close to Mill Creek and the River Valley, on major bus routes, grocery store planned for the main floor, between some of the nicest most walkable communities in the city, on top of offering a unique design, good amenities,... plus when it launched there was still some optimism in the economy and the market... I really don't think it was that out to lunch at all.

Respectfully, I disagree.

It was market leading and with few comparables.

Back