Bateman Lands Mid-Rise | 34m | 8s | Bateman Properties | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Or maybe even better, have you asked council this question?
I am not close to anyone on council so I don't know everything they have or have not done. However politicians usually are not shy about citing any accomplishments, so I suspect the answer is no, they haven't done anything.

I searched the word safe in the article and didn't find it. The person interviewed did say 99 St is not a friendly place to walk and that is 100% accurate. With all the traffic speeding past and no trees, it is not even remotely a pedestrian-friendly place. Not surprised the market for a luxury mixed-use building would not exist at that location. Sad, though - I did appreciate the small shops that used to be there.

As someone who lives in the neighbourhood, I can attest that there's a gap in amenities. I'm optimistic that'll change once the Beljan development happens, and maybe the other half of Todd Cleaners could become something (would a grocery store be possible?). But yes the vacant land on 99th has been quite the drawback coupled with the vacant lot on 83rd and 99th. Hopefully residential projects can go in those areas in the future. IIRC a residential project on the 83rd site was in progress up till last summer.

Don't disagree about 99th being unpleasant to walk along, but i don't think strathcona has been losing population? Where's that idea coming from?

I mean there are houses for sale and my fiancé overheard someone say "this neighbourhood is going downhill" but I don't think it's visibly losing population...

From a few friends who live north of Whyte and west of 99, there is A LOT more petty theft/crime.

You notice it while walking on Whyte. More people struggling with addictions and mental health. More social service groups and transitional housing has been established in the area in recent years.

I know a couple of people that moved out of Strathcona and Belgravia due to petty theft becoming a semi-regular occurrence. If this keeps happening, we will continue to see young families and couples move away due to safety issues.

I guess the saving grace here is that Beljan's project + the opening of the Colombian Coffee Bar will help liven up 99st and that neighbourhood overall, helping to lessen the blow of this huge eyesore in what is otherwise a really great area that many people love living in. I'm cautiously optimistic that one day, whenever that day may be, we will have a competent and great developer come in and buy this lot up, propose and build a solid tower of some sorts and hopefully implement a grocer + wine bar or something along those lines. I think this area and the potential this site offers will be good to whoever is willing to be in it for the long haul.

Last edited:
Theft from yards and garages is a big issue.
My brother lives just a block or two off 99th & Whyte, and this + people constantly going through garbage cans and throwing it everywhere have been driving him crazy lately.

As well, there’s a commercial dumpster nearby that has been lit on fire twice in that past year.

Back