Army & Navy Redevelopment | ?m | 6s | Edgar

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I like it - particularly the low-rise, subtle street focused commercial use with the use of brick on the envelope of the new structures. Additionally, the updated façade of the corner building to white gives it a fresh, vibrant feel. It looks cleaner, smarter, and more inviting.

Scale looks good. I really like the broken-up facades that make it feel like several smaller buildings. I really hope they change their mind about painting the corner building white like that, though.

Not sold on the fake ghost sign, either.

@strata I know you've been here for a bit now, but I don't think I've said it yet, so: Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:
I'll agree with nearly everyone, this is a really fitting replacement. In ways it almost fells like a more contemporary take on Dubs(?) building design that’s kitty corner to the site. Retaining the old cursive “Army & Navy Department Store” sign is a nice gesture to the site's history too. My only comment would be don't paint the old Royal Bank Building on the corner — painted brick always looks rough after awhile, it's hard to properly reverse, and when it's that handsome deep-red Redcliffe brick to begin with, why bother?

Is the Army & Navy building not historic though? Why is it ok to tear this one down but not the When Pigs Fly Building (historic designation or not)?

Back