• I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score

Southwest corner of Jasper Ave and 114 Street.

CAM_FM_01_048A+CROP_no+vent.jpg

CAM_EXT_05_048_no+vent.jpgCAM_EXT_9+WINTER+SUNSET_046.jpgCAM_EXT_3+WINTER+SUNSET_048.jpgCAM_EXT_06_048.jpgCAM_FM_01_47+CROP.jpgCAM_FM_01_048A+CROP_no+vent.jpg

According to this Facebook post, parking will be provided off-site in St. Joseph's underground parkade. If true and this agreement holds up, this is an awesome way to make efficient use of underutilized space while cutting down on costs.

Love Everything about this. And if that parking agreement holds up it could be a great step forward for the rest of the city. So often different uses have peak parking demand for different times, and could easily share parking, but under the zoning are not allowed. Churches and commercial/office are the perfect combination, with demand typically occurring at completely opposite times.

@EtoV Exactly! I know Century Park is wanting to do something similar, with residential parking offered up for commercial use during the day. Looking forward to seeing how this works on that scale.

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments. There's rarely a project I love 110% but I'll happily say this one is one. It really this ticks all the boxes for me: it's great small-scale filler, in an area that desperately needs some love, while not caving to parking demands, and with a design that wouldn't look out of place in Vancouver or Toronto. I really wish there more proposals like this.

It looks heavily inspired by Douglas Cardinal, whose style should absolutely be an inspiration for Canadian prairie region architects.
It's funny you should mention that, because I was thinking the exact same thing. Especially the way the brickwork slopes into the windows, it has that very '70s/'80s look to it.

I tele-meet with Douglas Cardinal 3 or 4 times a week. He is heavily invested in our Edmonton projects and the designs that he is coming up with should light a fire under the Edmonton construction establishment -- hint: curvilinear cross-laminated-timber forms married with PVC -- fabric roofs using 3" thick aerogel underside insulation (R-60 heat transfer resistance) and flexible, patterned, solar cell exterior surface for a significant portion of electricity generation (the rest handled with hydrogen fuel cells). Underground automated parking (https://www.syncpark.co/) as a standard for both autos and bicycles (@Daveography). On solid roofs, every single one is intensely landscaped as in park-like settings. It is killing me not to divulge more -- we are getting closer.

I tele-meet with Douglas Cardinal 3 or 4 times a week. He is heavily invested in our Edmonton projects and the designs that he is coming up with should light a fire under the Edmonton construction establishment -- hint: curvilinear cross-laminated-timber forms married with PVC -- fabric roofs using 3" thick aerogel underside insulation (R-60 heat transfer resistance) and flexible, patterned, solar cell exterior surface for a significant portion of electricity generation (the rest handled with hydrogen fuel cells). Underground automated parking (https://www.syncpark.co/) as a standard for both autos and bicycles (@Daveography). On solid roofs, every single one is intensely landscaped as in park-like settings. It is killing me not to divulge more -- we are getting closer.
This all sounds pretty awesome. My insta-approve hammer is eager to drop on your future proposals :)

There really is just something new and refreshing about this proposal that feels nice, almost like it was taken out of Gas Town in Vancouver and dropped here (which is good).

Back