121 West | ?m | 10s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Is that Hardie board on the top? If so, why bother for those little strips. The footprint is awful, but they could have made it better with overall higher quality materials. Now, the condo board will be doing a SA in 10 years to replace the stucco.

Its a rental building AFAIK, but yea it looks like some pension fund will have to pony up for that at some point

From yesterday evening:
20200829_154910.jpg

Bikes up to this thing for a closer look today, and Holy Crap that is a big footprint!
92DF9663-566F-4747-BA60-DEF68E0953E7.jpeg

D2051FA8-A726-4607-B928-EDBF5C5A3621.jpeg

A big footprint to fill a big hole in the urban fabric.
HECK YEAH. I love the massing of this building, and the interaction at street level, with all the ground-floor entires. I'm excited to see it in 15 years, when the units have been occupied for a while, landscaping has grown up, and the paint on the EIFS has faded and the poor beast has been repainted something less drab. It's gonna be a long-term boon for the area.

Can somebody who's a structural engineer (or just smarter than me) advise as to what force those beefy columns on the corner balconies are carrying? Did they bump an interior column onto the balcony or something? Or is everyone in a corner unit allowed to put a hot tub on their balcony. it looks so strange

Looking at the Londonderry Affordable housing project shows that this isn't really an issue of money. A decent looking building doesn't have to be expensive, a thoughtful selection of materials can go a long way, even on an architecturally simple building. I think a building like this is more than just trying to cut costs, it's straight up bad taste in design.

Can somebody who's a structural engineer (or just smarter than me) advise as to what force those beefy columns on the corner balconies are carrying? Did they bump an interior column onto the balcony or something? Or is everyone in a corner unit allowed to put a hot tub on their balcony. it looks so strange

It's been a while since I did anything structural related, but I doubt those columns are load bearing in any way, unless there's some wild load transfers going. Seems to be aesthetic.

^^^^ absolutely -- the only condition that separates these end balconies from those more central to the building structurally is that the cantilever is at an edge condition which should have no (or very little) bearing on cantilevered structural design. These columns are part of the wonderful -- choke, choke -- aesthetic of the building as a hole (oops misspelling... not my fault).

Sidewalks are going in on this. I was a bit curious as to where they woould run. it looks like they'll be close to the building and leave a boulevard by the driving lane (perhaps, maybe someday, some Boulevard Elms? one can dream) otherwise the second half of this project is starting to appear, cladding etc partially complete.
IMG_9351.JPG

Back