105 Avenue (Columbia Avenue) Streetscape | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

A couple other disappointments about Columbia Avenue that originally had such promise.

The sidewalk on the north side of the road is 6ft wide from the edge of the building pictured. When somebody opens the door from one the of the CRUs, it will come out half way into the sidewalk- it just seems really inadequate and not a pleasant experience - just concrete. Does this new sidewalk infastructure look pleasant to anyone?

View attachment 494255View attachment 494256

On the south side of the street, I don't like the parked cars located where they are. The bike lane runs between the traffic lane and the parked cars.

As you can also see, you get a bit wider of a vehicle parked there like a Tesla (some wider than 7ft) or Ford F150 at nearly 7ft wide) and they will be part way into the bike lane. The white VW is less than 6 ft wide and is already off the edge. There are bollards in the other side so vehicles can't park too close to those or can't open door.

View attachment 494257
Wait. What. A brand new street has parking that requires driving through the bike lane?

Why do we employ some people… 🤦‍♂️

Here's a refresh of what this will look like when finished in late 2023.

112-113st will be a plaza. Vehicles travelling east will have to turn north at 113 street. Vehicles heading west will be able to continue on past 112 st for about half a block to be able to access condos on Southside of street.

Bikes heading west on 105 Ave will have to merge from the protected bike lane onto a shared use road with Vehicles for half a block between 112-113 st before going back to a protected lane.

Screenshot_20230723-075725_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230723-080146_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230723-075913_Drive.jpg

Here's the road closure at 113 st for vehicles heading east. They will have to turn north.
Screenshot_20230723-075626_Drive.jpg

Here's all the renders.
Screenshot_20230723-075519_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Wait. What. A brand new street has parking that requires driving through the bike lane?

Why do we employ some people… 🤦‍♂️

Yup. 🙄

And so a driver that may need to parallel park between two vehicles, they will have no choice but to drive into the bike lane and then put it in reverse to maneuver into a spot.

And when a driver opens their vehicle door, they will need to watch for people on bikes/scooters behind them. And people on bikes/scooters will have to be mindful about potential vehicle doors opening up onto them.

In my opinion this plan is brilliant -- large sections of Columbia Avenue are proposed to be pedestrianized, making the street more human-scaled. This is the first time I have seen the City treat a street with individual concern instead of applying a one-size-fits-all approach to planning. Non-pedestrian traffic is slowed by use of paving materials; varied planting material works to give the area its own character; cross-current intersecting paths give the scheme an area-aura -- a real neighbourhood feel; and the mid-block park/plaza completely stops thru-traffic and creates a meeting place for tenants in the adjacent buildings -- Brilliant!

In my opinion this plan is brilliant -- large sections of Columbia Avenue are proposed to be pedestrianized, making the street more human-scaled. This is the first time I have seen the City treat a street with individual concern instead of applying a one-size-fits-all approach to planning. Non-pedestrian traffic is slowed by use of paving materials; varied planting material works to give the area its own character; cross-current intersecting paths give the scheme an area-aura -- a real neighbourhood feel; and the mid-block park/plaza completely stops thru-traffic and creates a meeting place for tenants in the adjacent buildings -- Brilliant!

The residents in the area have been waiting a fairly long time for this so it will be nice and there are a lot of businesses in this area between 105 and 106 Avenues. Hopefully this will also be a catalyst for more residential.

There are a few misses here from my perspective as I noted above but I'm glad this project is finally getting completed and people will actually have a sidewalk for the full length of 109 to 116st along with a nice plaza.

Some new businesses have just opened in the area such as White Rabbit ice cream shop - the plaza will be a nice place to enjoy it.

The fact that there will be a perfectly functional "narrow" 2 way vehicle access built through the park shows how literally every single one of our other local roads is overbuilt for high speed dangerous car traffic on what are supposed to be quiet residential streets.

105 Avenue is a complex area with many alley and parking lot entrances, due to its origina as a light industrial area adjacent to the rail yards. I think this plan, albeit not perfect in the slightest, is a definite improvement from the pre-remodelling state. Merging from a protected lane into shared traffic for a half block, for example, is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. The City couldn't cut off access to business parking lots, expecially if the access is their only one.

105 Avenue is a complex area with many alley and parking lot entrances, due to its origina as a light industrial area adjacent to the rail yards. I think this plan, albeit not perfect in the slightest, is a definite improvement from the pre-remodelling state. Merging from a protected lane into shared traffic for a half block, for example, is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. The City couldn't cut off access to business parking lots, expecially if the access is their only one.
The cutouts in the cycling lanes I have an issue with aren't to business parking lots, as those cutouts existed previously in the previous two-way protected lane. It's the fact that the bike lane is continuously interrupted by a handful of parallel parking spaces that are more protected than the bike lane itself. People parallel parking shouldn't have to cross a bike lane to do so - if parking is needed then it needs to be on the other side of a bike lane with adequate separation for door opening.

The cutouts in the cycling lanes I have an issue with aren't to business parking lots, as those cutouts existed previously in the previous two-way protected lane. It's the fact that the bike lane is continuously interrupted by a handful of parallel parking spaces that are more protected than the bike lane itself. People parallel parking shouldn't have to cross a bike lane to do so - if parking is needed then it needs to be on the other side of a bike lane with adequate separation for door opening.
Agreed. Why not curve the bike lanes around the parking if it has to be there? On 106st they do this, which can be annoying for winter riding as the turns can get icy. But cars driving over bike lanes and drop wheel well ice chunks onto it is definitely a bigger problem (see 102ave bike lanes where there are front driveways to townhomes 🙃)

That has an added benefit of parked vehicles acting as another barrier between bike lane users and vehicles.

Rode my bike on a portion of the new lanes today. It seems like we did not learn much from the Victoria promenade fiasco and others. The bike lanes are too narrow and there is interference with car parking on the Southside.

We lost one of my favorite bike paths in the city that was appropriately separated from cars and had enough room for two way traffic and passing.

^ yeah I would love to know what the plan is for that site. Does ATCO even own the site currently? They haven't used it for a service centre for a decade now and since it's just been the slow demo of existing buildings.

Back