101 Avenue Vision | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

@Avenuer You're right, so why do we keep getting shit like this?? I mean I dunno, maybe the other big cities in Canada get it too and we have a skewed perspective...

Here is a photo that I tookie this afternoon. It's just a smidgen west of @Roland Bressmer's photo above
View attachment 274051
here's a close up of their proposed 💩 on that big lot on 72
View attachment 274059
I find this very disappointing. No residential and all the esthetics of a Nisku business park. I've always hoped that the 101Avenue Vision and Corridor Study would spur more thoughtful development.
As posted above,

I used to live about 4 blocks to the west of here (20ish years ago) and always felt 101ave had such cool main street potential. It still does have great potential. No more 💩

So I learned a bit more about this one today; apparently the developer did want to build something with residential units above, but there was some kind of disconnect with city planning which the developer took to mean it was more work than it was worth, so they just dumbed it down to what would be easiest to get approved. This is all hearsay of course.

What I do know is that there is a community coalition meeting with the developer coming up to help find out what the issues were, and will be helping them to achieve a better vision for this site.

They do have an approved development permit (see below; big surprise on the architect eh?), so kudos to the developer for entertaining a different proposal at this stage.

Reference ID: Job No 303737890-002
Description: To construct a General Retail Stores building.
Plan 6083KS Blk 14A Lot 3
Applicant: EFG ARCHITECTS INC.
Create Date: 4/18/2019 10:07:20 AM
Neighbourhood: TERRACE HEIGHTS

Looks like it's going ahead as just a commercial building...

Description: To Construct a new Commercial building - Commercial retail plaza, 7 bays
Permit date: February 4, 2021
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (01) New
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Malls, Office/Retail (512)
Address: 7307 - 101 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: TERRACE HEIGHTS
Zoning: CSC
Value: $750,000.00

From this afternoon. So sad that there's no residential here, unbelievable really.
2021-03-31 011.JPG2021-03-31 014.JPG

Foundation has been poured, framing well underway. Certainly has a smaller setback than its neighbours, but is still a good chunk away from the street. A miss, given what the eventual plan for 101 Ave calls for :/

What surprised me is that it's being framed with wood. I can only ever recall seeing commercial builds being steel frame, but I'm sure this isn't the first building doing it.

It matches the street quite well. It's almost as if it's not even there!
I wish it weren't.

I'm starting to notice this more and more, but why do single-story strip mall type retail buildings always feel the need to have, like, 12 foot ceilings minimum? Half of that building's height is beige dead-space.

I wish it weren't.

I'm starting to notice this more and more, but why do single-story strip mall type retail buildings always feel the need to have, like, 12 foot ceilings minimum? Half of that building's height is beige dead-space.

Why can more strip malls be pedestrian-oriented and have other mixed-uses like residential or office space? Oh wait, then it wouldn't be a strip mall :p

A pic from last Sunday. Not much to say about this one...
I wonder if anything will come of the 101 Avenue Vision and Corridor Study/Draft report, it's been over 4 years?
View attachment 352599
The only positive thing here is that the parking is not in the front, at least, so the business will be facing the sidewalk.

The city has a survey to gather feedback about the proposed elements of the 101 street redevelopment; it closes on November 30.

Here is a broad summary from the video, but the video goes into more detail (includong about the proposed shared use paths), so I recommend watching it if you have the time. Either way, do the survey because they need constructive feedback from people who don't think there's a war on cars!
Screenshot_20211126-121303_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-121309_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-121319_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Slip lanes aside (at both 75th & 57th streets), I'm really liking this iteration.
I'm also against the left-turn lanes at every intersection. For all I care, we should put a tree-lined median and only allow left turns in specific places.
Other than this, and the aforementioned slip lanes, I quite like it as well.

Back