100 Street Funicular and Frederick G. Todd Lookout | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | DIALOG

@IanO, good vid (love all BEM videos). I don't think that I've seen that one before but knew of our first lift.
I knew that ol' verticle elevator well back in the day, road her up weekly if I had the nickel. Never took it for the return back down cause I was usually broke and it was just as easy to cartwheel down in good weather or slide on my arse when the snowpack was right. 😜
My next fav lift was the fancy Convention Centre Funicular, way warmer too and easier on the backside.
1614055509351.png

In all seriousness, I use the Funicular weekly and will more-so as I transition towards public/pedal transit. Sold the truck a month ago (still have the civic), bought an electric bike a couple of weeks ago, did 30 km today running errands. Not bad for an old fart.

@archited I don't want to get the Gondola thread too off topic, so I'll just ping you here. Have you seen the usage stats in this document? If so, are they lower than what you think would justify the cost of the funicular?

*There's a few numbers thrown around in that document. But if anyone doesn't want to look through it, here's one key takeaway: "On June 5, 2019, a pedestrian counter was installed on the promenade. From June 5 - Dec. 31 a
total of 219,387 counts were registered."

Personally, I'm supportive of the funicular, just because it makes the river valley more accessible for folks with accessibility concerns. But I understand why you're not supportive of it.

@archited I don't want to get the Gondola thread too off topic, so I'll just ping you here. Have you seen the usage stats in this document? If so, are they lower than what you think would justify the cost of the funicular?

*There's a few numbers thrown around in that document. But if anyone doesn't want to look through it, here's one key takeaway: "On June 5, 2019, a pedestrian counter was installed on the promenade. From June 5 - Dec. 31 a
total of 219,387 counts were registered."

Personally, I'm supportive of the funicular, just because it makes the river valley more accessible for folks with accessibility concerns. But I understand why you're not supportive of it.
My only issue with the Funicular isn't with the thing itself. I think it's underused and if we opened the River Valley, between the Tawatinâ and Groat, to some level of development (riverfront with a few kiosks, bike paths, etc, at least on the north bank) we could even benefit from having another funicular by the Victoria Promenade, replacing the current staircase there.

Busy @ the Funicular this Sunday.
Unfortunately, there is more smashed glass this time on the lift.
2021-03-07 221.JPG2021-03-07 233.JPG2021-03-07 241.JPG2021-03-07 254.JPG2021-03-07 262.JPG2021-03-07 267.JPG2021-03-07 279.JPG

This was wonky.
A "wrong-way" driver just about entered the Low Level driving south in the northbound lane
I didn't notice until I heard the bus honking and then the bus driver hops out to help the bewildered person eventually turn around. Young family pedals past, lucky on the SUP.
2021-03-07 247.JPG2021-03-07 238.JPG

Attachments

• 1615326903193.png
    1615326903193.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 125
That's too bad, I definitely thought having filled the former center of business and celebration Shaw Conference Centre next door with 300 people that typically respect property this would no longer be an issue (sarcasm)...I know people that are working in that shelter (formerly Shaw Conference Centre) and have told me how disgusting, vandalized and down-right in poor shape it is now. With the funicular right next door, I'm not surprised that this is happening. Quite unfortunate and shameful.

Back