News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

A lot of people just seem to visit downtown a lot when the weather is nice during the weekends. Every single time I'm on the Valley Line on weekends, around 60-70% of them end up exiting at Churchill (a lot of them families too).

I'm an eternal optimist on this forum so take my words with a grain of salt, but I do think the future is bright for the core if this keeps up,

Walked quite a bit of Downtown this past weekend.

1. I know it is the time of year, but man o man there was A LOT of garbage. Nice to see Hire Good out there, but it was not having much of an impact.

2. I'd bet 30-50% of the way-finding signs are damaged, defaced or missing.

3. The number of broken windows continues to amaze me and is really sad to see.

4. TONS of people out and about and what appeared to be many 'visitors' to the area who were exploring and stumbling across new places including Bar Oro.
The garbage situation was a lot better right before the weekend, the combination of a bit breezier days + all the melting snow seemed to have it fly all over. IMO I think Hire Good has been making a decent difference, on the non-windy days Jasper Ave, 104 st are both fairly free of litter.

I almost think your estimate on the wayfinding signs might be lowballing it. Don't know what it is about loser vandals, but wayfinding signs seem to be a prime target for them to smash/graffiti. Tiresome.

I know this is the downtown thread but just wanted to add to the litter discussion. The Whyte Ave situation was disgusting this morning, Tons of garbage strewn all over the sidewalks and streets.

I believe those might be lots with permits. New permits are not permitted since 2011 when the Downtown Plan was approved. Admin is recommending temporary parking permits of 7-10 years if certain requirements are met like landscaping, lighting etc. However that's currently being watered down. What its seems to me is more of the status quote, but perhaps more will be compliant. This is Council allowing more surface parking lots.

Back