News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Greater San Diego and Greater LA literally border each other
They absolutely do not border one another -- there is a whole unconnected string of beach towns between them. I'm not going to try to counter your misguided arguments -- you are literally off in fairyland. Is SoCal populous? -- sure it is; does it have a strong economy base -- as a stand alone economic zone California is the fourth largest economy in the world, all the more making your arguments a Huge stretch and comparisons pointless between Edmonton and San Diego or Vancouver and San Diego. You wear your biases on your sleeve like it is some kind of badge of honor.

We can debate various places, but I agree with the overall point about San Diego. Another important thing to consider is the suburban mentality in Edmonton is very entrenched and getting a lot of people to chose to live downtown, even if it is a good solution, will be very difficult while suburban housing is affordable, jobs are not concentrated downtown and there are so few essential retail services left to make it walkable for residents. If you have to drive to get almost anything at a strip mall on the edge of downtown, really what is the point of living in the core?

However, visitors are not as affected by our situation, preconceptions and biases. There are a number of interesting things to see downtown (AGA, Winspear, a number of decent restaurants and some nightlife). Unfortunately, on a scale of 1 to 10 our city puts attracting visitors around 20 and attracting jobs to the downtown core around 15. This has been the case for a while, so its no surprise things are the way they are.

But at least there does seem to be some interest in having more events that could draw people downtown regularly and that may also bring in some out of town visitors. We do already have Rogers downtown and other facilities, so maybe we just need to make more use of them. If we can clean up and maintain downtown more, that would help a lot too.

They absolutely do not border one another -- there is a whole unconnected string of beach towns between them. I'm not going to try to counter your misguided arguments -- you are literally off in fairyland. Is SoCal populous? -- sure it is; does it have a strong economy base -- as a stand alone economic zone California is the fourth largest economy in the world, all the more making your arguments a Huge stretch and comparisons pointless between Edmonton and San Diego or Vancouver and San Diego. You wear your biases on your sleeve like it is some kind of badge of honor.
Debating with you is a worthless exercise. One can't really take anything that comes out of you seriously, anyways.
I honestly wonder why in the hell you're still so active in this forum, since all evidence points to the fact that you feel more Californian than anything else (time and time again) and, as far as anyone knows you haven't even been to Edmonton in ages.
Stick to SoCal. I'd say I'll visit, but you're not worth the gas money.

Just noticed the Scientology signage on this building.

20240314_122617.jpg

I can't wait to see the patios reopen at the Kelly Ramsey tower and the Phipps McKinnon building! It's arguably the most beautiful stretch of road in downtown Edmonton.

I'm curious to see how Icehouse in ICE District will configure their patios this year. Last year their ground level patio was hardly ever used at all.

Probably a combination of the Oil Kings game, St. Patrick's and the warm weather but downtown was quite busy this evening. Had someone mention that it also was "less sketchy".

I was dt yesterday around 630pm and noticed more overall garbage than the recent past, articles of clothing left here and there, and at least five or six groupings of people (4 to 8ish people per group) in front of entrances, at corners or in alleys either sitting/lying on the ground with various amounts of backpacks and other types of bags, shopping carts or bikes.

Walked quite a bit of Downtown this past weekend.

1. I know it is the time of year, but man o man there was A LOT of garbage. Nice to see Hire Good out there, but it was not having much of an impact.

2. I'd bet 30-50% of the way-finding signs are damaged, defaced or missing.

3. The number of broken windows continues to amaze me and is really sad to see.

4. TONS of people out and about and what appeared to be many 'visitors' to the area who were exploring and stumbling across new places including Bar Oro.

Back