News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

^Also agree. That's why in new buildings, well designed podiums using brick, stone and glass can provide that street wall effect, as well as ensuring the retail bays can be divided into smaller spaces. I'm even more adamant about the latter since I've seen what they're doing in other cities to ensure there's small retail spaces for local businesses to occupy.

I feel the same way. I much prefer walking down streets with a smaller scale of buildings, mixed use and dense.
This is one of the core principles of good urban design: things that are closer to the human scale.
Now, I do still love skyscrapers, and you can still have a human-scale street level feeling with them (see New York), but I do agree with whoever said that we should've kept the old buildings.

Today I received a flyer from Mondo Pizza, which has replaced the Greenhouse on 101 St just north of Jasper Ave

Mondo Pizza was just on Jasper Ave and 112 st about 4 months ago. I figured they went out of business. Divine Indian Cuisine has replaced them. I actually enjoyed Mondo Pizza the couple of times I did take out. I also like Divine - good and spicy.

Before Mondo was Die Pie, which moved to 97 Street. I think that location is closed now. In doing a Google search, it still shows 112st as their location- temporarily closed.

Thoughts on this.

FLKK2muXMAAheNz

Sad, embarrassing are a couple of words that come to mind. From 2016 to 2021 we had the Ultima, Encore, both Fox towers, Mayfair, Hendrix, Maclaren, (others?), the Ice district coming to completion and despite all our downtown boosting efforts we are at the bottom of almost every mid to large Canadian city in the country with negative downtown population growth by these metrics. What more does Edmonton need to do to increase its downtown population? Or another way, what is Edmonton doing wrong that it is not increasing downtown population and is so bad comparatively at driving population out?

Back