News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown

PRESS RELEASE

Civic Service Union 52 Joins Edmonton's Downtown Recovery Coalition, Enhancing Advocacy for a Safe and Welcoming Downtown

June 21, 2023 (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Civic Service Union 52 (CSU 52) has joined the Downtown Recovery Coalition (DRC) as a prominent Steering Committee member along with 30 other community leaders from private, public, and non-profit sectors. CSU 52 represents over 6,000 dedicated technical, professional, administrative, and clerical workers from organizations such as the City of Edmonton, Capital Power, Edmonton Public Library, EPCOR, and the Telus World of Science.

As the union representing front-line staff responsible for the smooth operation of our city, CSU 52's members perform vital duties such as answering emergency calls, supporting libraries, customer service for city run facilities, coordinating DATS and many more core services. With over 80% of their members required to be present on-site daily, safety at work is paramount. Throughout the pandemic, these dedicated individuals stepped up, exemplifying their commitment to Edmontonians by delivering uninterrupted services that keep our city running.

"A safe, vibrant, and welcoming downtown is imperative for the work our members carry out every day," emphasized Lanny Chudyk, President of CSU 52. "As city builders by profession and at heart, our members are devoted to providing core services that benefit all Edmontonians. However, their working conditions are becoming increasingly unacceptable. Our members often find themselves intervening in situations involving frightening and unsafe outbursts while simply doing their jobs. This is an unsustainable situation, and we are pleased to join the DRC in amplifying the collective voice advocating for a safe and vibrant downtown and city."

Acknowledging CSU 52's valuable contribution, DRC Chair Alex Hryciw expressed enthusiasm about the partnership. "Every employee deserves a safe work environment, and the addition of CSU 52 to our Steering Committee will accelerate our collaborative advocacy to all levels of government. Safety, security, cleanliness, and a vibrant downtown are critical success factors for our city as a whole. We extend a warm welcome to CSU 52 and look forward to working alongside them."

In the upcoming weeks, the DRC will increase its provincial engagement efforts and work toward informing the newly elected MLAs and Cabinet Ministers about the challenges facing our capital city and potential solutions to address them.

About the Downtown Recovery Coalition (DRC)

The DRC's primary objective is to leverage collective experience, expertise, and voices to build a vibrant and thriving downtown that serves as an economic engine for Edmonton while fostering a welcoming environment for all. Led by a diverse Steering Committee comprising representatives from community groups, non-profit organizations, and business leaders, the DRC includes individuals who work, live, provide services, and conduct business downtown.

About Civic Service Union 52 (CSU 52)

Civic Service Union 52 represents over 6,000 technical, professional, administrative, and clerical workers employed by Capital Power, the City of Edmonton, Edmonton Public Library, EPCOR, and the Telus World of Science - Edmonton. CSU 52 acts as a collective voice during negotiations with employers, advocating for wage increases, improved benefits, fair working conditions, and workplace fairness and equality. The union is committed to engaging its members, providing timely information, fostering opportunities for members to connect and advance common interests, and facilitating learning and educational growth.

DRC Membership
Members of the DRC Steering Committee include:

Alex Hryciw
Chair, Downtown Recovery Coalition

Anand Pye
Executive Director, NAIOP, Commercial Real Estate Development Association
Cheryll Watson
Chief Connector, STEM Collegiate

Annemarie Petrov
President & CEO, Winspear Centre

Aziz Bootwala
Sr. Principal, Vice President-Business Development, Kasian Architecture

Bill Blais
President & CEO, McLab Development Group
Chad Helm
Founder, The Helm

Chris Buyze

Past President, Downtown Edmonton Community League
Chris Lavin
National Consulting Leader and Regional Managing Partner, MNP LLP

Dan Hugo
Chief Financial Officer, ATB
Dave Young
Executive Vice President, CBRE Edmonton

Devin Pope

Property Manager, The Gather Co.

Henry Edgar

President, Autograph

Jackie Nelson

Vice President, External Relations, NorQuest College

Robert Seidel
National Managing Partner, DLA Piper (Canada) LLP
Sean Kirk
General Manager, Edmonton City Centre

Jan Fox
Executive Director, REACH Edmonton
Jenny Adams
President, The Adams Agency
Jim Brown
Sherrick Management
Jonathan Durance
District VP, TD Canada Trust

Kalen Anderson
Executive Director, Urban Development Institute - Edmonton Metro

Kevin McKee
Chief Executive Officer, Pangman Development Corp.
Lanny Chudyk
President, Civic Service Union 52

Lisa Baroldi
President and CEO, BOMA Edmonton

Matina Kalcounis-Rueppell
College Dean and Vice Provost, University of Alberta
Mike Saunders
Senior Vice President, Qualico Properties
Mike Sacha
Asset Manager, Triovest
Parm Raeewal
Director, Government Relations, Canadian Bankers Association

Pilar Martinez

CEO, Edmonton Public Library
Puneeta McBryan
Executive Director, Downtown Business Association
Theresa Vladicka
Director, Government Affairs, MacEwan University

-30-​

For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact:

Justin Archer

jarcher@BRLN.ca

587-708-2560

Epic adventures await at Movies on the Square​

01275808-215f-44f7-9878-5bee0bce1f9f.jpg
June 23, 2023

Head downtown to watch free outdoor movies the entire family will enjoy at Movies on the Square. Bring your lawn chair to Sir Winston Churchill Square and soak in Edmonton’s warm summer evenings while watching epic family movies on a large screen.
This ultimate outdoor movie experience will include pre-movie activities starting at 5 p.m. Food trucks will be on-site from 5 to 9 p.m. for those looking to buy food and movie snacks.

Admission is free, but don’t forget to bring your own lawn chair. Closed captioning will be offered. This is a free family-friendly event, so no alcohol or smoking please.
2023 Schedule​
893327e4-5c98-43d6-a0dc-c3c617afec2c.png
Please note: Severe weather conditions may result in the cancellation of this event. Call 311 or visit edmonton.ca/MoviesOnTheSquare for current event information.

Gotta Minute Film Festival
Movies on the Square is pleased to welcome the Gotta Minute Film Festival as part of our pre-movie fun. The festival features one-minute silent short films in public spaces. A celebration of public art on public transit and in public space, Gotta Minute is funded in part by the Edmonton Arts Council, and is co-produced by PATTISON Onestop and the Film and Video Arts Society of Alberta (FAVA).

Getting There
Sir Winston Churchill Square is easily accessible by bus and LRT. Visit edmonton.ca/transit to plan your trip.​
For more information:
edmonton.ca/MoviesOnTheSquare
Media contact:
Karen McDonnell
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement​

---
Reference ID: Job No 476337221-002
Description: To install (1) Projecting On-Premises Sign(s) (TIGER SUGAR)
Plan 1222211 Blk 8 Lot 46A
Applicant: HORIZON SIGN SOLUTIONS INC.
Create Date: 2023-06-25T09:50:17Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Of course this chart doesn't include Edmonton, which sadly often seems left out of supposed national surveys of all other cities over a million.

However, I would assume unless there is a strong reason to believe otherwise we would be in line with what is shown in the other cities and seems to be a trend this year.

If this is the case, I suppose it should be beneficial for downtown. I have noticed it seems to continue to be busier downtown, with a reduction a social problems and safety issues, or maybe they are not as noticeable when more people are around.

Of course this chart doesn't include Edmonton, which sadly often seems left out of supposed national surveys of all other cities over a million.

However, I would assume unless there is a strong reason to believe otherwise we would be in line with what is shown in the other cities and seems to be a trend this year.

If this is the case, I suppose it should be beneficial for downtown. I have noticed it seems to continue to be busier downtown, with a reduction a social problems and safety issues, or maybe they are not as noticeable when more people are around.
Given that this topic is being posted in the downtown thread, perhaps it wasnt because someone decided to ignore Edmonton and maybe more had to do with the fact that each of those downtowns has significantly more downtown workers than Edmonton and the survey used a threshold of workers downtown in person postings vs remote postings.

Given that this topic is being posted in the downtown thread, perhaps it wasnt because someone decided to ignore Edmonton and maybe more had to do with the fact that each of those downtowns has significantly more downtown workers than Edmonton and the survey used a threshold of workers downtown in person postings vs remote postings.
I just made an observation, I did not speculate as to why Edmonton was left out. There may be various reasons and I can also think of some others.

Given that this particular forum is about downtown Edmonton, I felt would be meaningful if the chart included Edmonton and so I noticed its absence.

I just made an observation, I did not speculate as to why Edmonton was left out. There may be various reasons and I can also think of some others.

Given that this particular forum is about downtown Edmonton, I felt would be meaningful if the chart included Edmonton and so I noticed its absence.
No need to get defensive man. I offered a statistically objective reason to the survey that was an alternative to your self-pity statement "Of course this chart doesn't include Edmonton, which sadly often seems left out of supposed national surveys"

I am not the one using the words self pity and ignored. I am not sure why an observation is so triggering.

Edmonton Jazz Festival has started. Free lunch hour concerts at ICE District this week.

What I noticed immediately is how nice it is to have a built-in sound system for the plaza, unlike Churchill which has nothing. Hopefully one day soon Churchill could have a similar light and sound set up (minus screens for ads) like Montreal has in Quartier des Spectacles.

Last edited:
Mercer Building

Reference ID:Job No 476504714-002
Description:To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (EL JARDIN)
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 187-188
Applicant:PM ELECTRIC LTD
Create Date:2023-06-27T08:24:38Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

"In this role, you'll lead the Bar Team as one of the key senior leaders in our Latin Inspired restaurant & lounge in the heart of downtown Edmonton, located in the Mercer Building. El Jardin with be a fun, energetic and premium feeling room with a fresh latin flare. El Jardin will offer a large variety of cocktails, dynamic International wine list, Latin, Local and World Beers that are all complimented by our Latin inspired menu. All cocktails and syrups will be handcrafted in house offering our guests a variety of fresh and delicious options where finding a favourite will be a challenge we cant wait to offer them."

Back